What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help ID'ing this shell

zombiedfens

My father picked this shell up for me when i was a child. I believe he found it at a gun show. I'm curious what this shell was used in and any information I can find out about the projectile(s) i was ment to fire. Ideally i would like to make up a fake look alike projectile to place into the shell for display purposes. Any help from you experts would be greatly appreciated. THe shell measures about 3" or 75 mm at the base. its roughly 6 3/4" tall. If anyone would like to to take more measurements i could do so. ~ Craig

BegShell.jpg

BegShell001.jpg

BegShell004.jpg

Hi Craig,

Not my specialty, but it is a naval (N) shell case for an "Anti-Submarine" (A/S) spigot mortar device - probably from a "Hedgehog" or Limbo since it has the British "broad-arrow".

Made in 1954 by ECC (Edward Curran & Co manufacturer's Stamp)

Mk 10? (from the stenciling on the case side - not really clear -> "MK XCR" as in Mk 10 Cartridge???)

If you search BOCN with "anti submarine" there's a number of threads on these type of cases etc.

Other members will hopefully elaborate more for you.

Cheers
Drew

FootNote:
OK I got curious myself and did a little searching on BOCN....seems that the "A/S 12" is for the Limbo not Hedgehog.........but not conclusive:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-DCT-cases-etc/page2?highlight=anti+submarine

Last edited: