What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Granatwerfer bomb resto

Slick

Officially, I never, ever, do much more than clean up and maybe oil anything that ends up in the collection. This particular piece will be the exception. While basically intact, the surface pitting is to an extreme and figured I'd try my hand at "upgrading" the finish. After a mild sandblasting to remove the rust, I commenced with multiple applications of BONDO putty/body filler, to build up the corroded away frag lugs. This has, so far, required three "fills", with probably that many more before I'm satisfied. I apply the putty, let it dry, shoot it with primer, file and sand, and do it again. As well, after finding a superb sectioned drawing, I was able to craft a fairly respectable nose fuze to fill the hole, using a carriage bolt and another screw. It's not EXACT, but pretty close, and, once painted, will look the part. Better than having a gaping hole in the nose.

So, here's a before and some "during" shots. Will update as progress is made.
I'm guessing the color should be a grey/green. Can anyone verify that?

OrdHut 11 11 11 042.jpg Mortar, Granatwerfer 001 (Large).jpg Mortar, Granatwerfer 002 (Large).jpg Mortar, Granatwerfer 003 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Is there any info on the propelling cartridge for one of these? The drawing depicts what appears to be a rifle cartridge case. Am guessing of the 7.92(8mm) variety. Any specs are appreciated.

Rick

Well, now that I've learned the proper nomenclature is Granatenwerfer, it will be easier to find more details. Anyway, progress is being made. New fuze cap crafted. Nearing the end of the filling and sanding. Will most likely get its finish coat on Wednesday.

Still looking for specs and/or examples of the propelling charge. Might be able to substitute a fired rifle cartridge if there's some similarity.

The work area always looks a mess, but I can find most everything I need. The new faux fuze cap adds a little pizzazz. Lots of artistic license used, but just wanted something more than the first rendition. A little color here and there will make it even more impressive.

I wouldn't use these pictures as a how-to for the process. Not sure of other's efforts, and can't think of a better way to fill and build, so it is what it is. The BONDO is OK, but wish there was something that dried a little faster. 24 hours minimum before one can file and sand without wasting time and effort. Will end up painting it SAGE GREEN. Closest I could find to the original color in the paint store. It will suffice.

Without further ado:

Granatenwerfer restoration 001.jpg Granatenwerfer restoration 002.jpg Granatenwerfer restoration 003.jpg Granatenwerfer restoration 004.jpg Granatenwerfer restoration 006.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Slick,that is a damn good resto job you have done there,24hrs before you can sand etc,I assume BONDO is filler for car repairs,I used to use filler (years ago)on some horrendous holes in cars,(Ford Anglia front wings etc.),I used Davids Isopon (with chicken wire,cardboard in fact anything to hold it firm until it set) and that was solid enough to file and sand after about an hour,it sets like concrete,ask at a car body repair shop and see if there is a faster setting body filler which would speed up your restorations,
Hope this is a helpful suggestion,
Regards,
Don,

Well, I'm done. For some reason, I can't post pics, so y'all will just have to imagine how spectacular it looks 'til I get this "upload photo" issue resolved.

tah-dah!

Mortar, Granatenwerfer 2.jpg Mortar, Granatenwerfer.jpg

Attachments

• Mortar, Granatenwerfer 2 (Large).jpg
    Mortar, Granatenwerfer 2 (Large).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Mortar, Granatenwerfer (Large).jpg
    Mortar, Granatenwerfer (Large).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Hi Rick,
That looks great, a first class restoration project. Did you get the info you needed regarding the launching cartridge for this ? i may have some info if i can find the book.
Best regards Weasel

Hey Weasel

Thanks. No, I haven't gotten any specifics on the propelling cartridge.

Rick

So, I was just joking when I said I was done.

To complete the project, I needed a fuze cap/cover. The pictured cigar/tube was brought back from Cuba in the late '70s when a flight a friend was on was hijacked. One of the benefits of the brief layover before returning to the States was a shopping spree in the Havana airport store. He returned with a box of these cigars. Hated cutting it, but needed it for something IMPORTANT, and, it fit perfectly. A hole was drilled, a cotter pin found, and the ring crafted from balin' wire. I think it's close enough.

NOW, I'm done. Except for the propelling cartridge. Time will tell on that.

Mortar, Granatenwerfer 001 (Large).jpg Mortar, Granatenwerfer 002 (Large).jpg Mortar, Granatenwerfer 003 (Large).jpg Mortar, Granatenwerfer 005 (Large).jpg

A bit of trivia, there are 96, 96! frag lugs.

Last edited:
Hi Slick

Here are some pics an dimensions of the propelling cartridge

Pascal

Attachments

• IMG_2549_DxO_resize.jpg
    IMG_2549_DxO_resize.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2550_DxO_resize.jpg
    IMG_2550_DxO_resize.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2551_DxO_resize.jpg
    IMG_2551_DxO_resize.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 27
Pascal,

Thanks for all that. Do you know if this is a repurposed 7.92 cartridge case or is it specific to the granatenwerfer?

Rick

Thanks Pascal

I was hoping that was it. I think I have a few of those laying around here.

Rick

Paul

Yes. I'd found that early on in my search for info. Was the inspiration for the hole filler/fuze. A superb drawing that will be included with the display. I will be using a spent 7.92X57 shell to replicate the propelling charge but will keep looking for an original example. As well as a real fuze cap. Would love to get it completed with real/original components.

Rick