What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown fuze

collector

Premium Member
Dear all,

Found these fuzes a few days ago, never seen such a model before. Their size (similar height and width) is similar to a British fuze no. 117/119, 222 as seen on the right.
Only their shape for me, is unknown. Normally I do not mind cleaning them a bit with a soft brush, but due to the state they were in, I didn't feel comfortable doing so.

Perhaps somebody recognizes them?
Thank you all for looking!

Bob

Attachments

• 20120401_163948.jpg
    20120401_163948.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 84
Hi Bob,

The rounded shape contours reminds me of the cover off a No 390 fuse and the "buldge" above the thread especially on the centre ones seems to support this.

However the thread depth is much deeper than on my No 390.............

Looks like those fuses had their protective covers on - if so, I wonder what the condition of the fuzes are???

Cheers
Drew

Thank you for your answer. I checked that out, but the cover of that fuze is way different and wouldn't fit. The thread indeed was also longer similar length as the 222 next to it, the 390's timefuze thread, is half as short. Unfortunately because of the state they were in, I was careful not to fool around with them and had to call the EOD. If I could have looked underneath the cover, I would have, but with these things, you never know what to expect some fuzes can be very 'sensitive'..

Meantime found out what kind of cover it is, its a cover for a fuze no.222 series. Apparently they made them this way to make sure the fuzes were fully protected and easily recognizable when screwed on a 25pdr, used in battle. As the famous 117/119 fuze have an iron/zinc alloy cover-cap these no.222 fuzes were fully covered because the 'time-clock-work' needed to be fully protected, which was quite sensitive for outer damage.

At least this is what I've been told just a few minutes ago!

Thanks all for looking.

Bob

Last edited:
Hello Bob, I'm sure the two on the left are most likely unfired, live fuzes. The blue copper compound you can see is a chemical reaction between the (probably brass) fuze body and the explosive in the fuze magazine. For your own safety I'm sure you were right to call for EOD.