Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    yes they are german "Kugelhandgranate mit Uhrwerkszünder". I can't say when they got introduced but in 1918 they were considered as "obsolete, unusable live ammunition". There was a instruction that it is forbidden to return these grenades to the ammunition depots and to destroy existing stocks by explosion. I guess the fuzes proofed to be unsafe, especially when they had duds. A hanging clockwork fuze is never a funny thing.
    Last edited by Alpini; 26th November 2013 at 10:32 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alpini For This Useful Post:

doppz92 (18th May 2017), Gau 8 (27th November 2013), Millsman (16th December 2017), SG500 (27th November 2013)

Thanks
    I would also be interested in some info about these Kugel with clockwork. GAU 8 you seem to have one of the lowest Serial# (6) I've ever seen. The highest I know of is #46. Interestingly the style of your number is different from the others. Yours looks hand embossed while the others look machine embossed.

Thanks
    @Alpini: can you provide any documents which describe what you are telling in your post? Would be interesting to see. Thanks, Nudel

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    I have a copy of a document, dated September 1914 regarding the " Kugelhandgranate der Sprengstoff AG "Carbonit" which states that the Sprengstoff AG "Carbonit" introduced a new type of Kugelhandgranate with clockwork fuze to eliminate the unreliable fuze systems during this time by putting a clockwork type of fuze into it. The grenade is armed when thrown (the safety pin falls out by throwing the grenade. The grenade is filled with Fp.02. The3 grenade was also introduced for being used as a mine, the safety pin being pulled by arming wire layed and tightened at the ground. The General Inspection of Engineers in Berlin suggest and applied to purchase 10000 pieces of these grenades for a price of 5,50 Mark each. Signed with "Kriegsministerium, Allgemeines Kriegs-Department NR 2071/14.g. A6. Further is mentioned in these documents, that these grenades will be stored in the "Festung Coeln" and will be released for the " Feldformationen der Pioniere" Signed with General-Inspection, chief of staff, Major Friedrich.
    The Document has a seal of the "Preussisches Kriegsministerium; geheimer Kanzleisekretaer".
    Mr.Fuze, USA

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrfuze For This Useful Post:

SG500 (17th December 2017)

Thanks
    As you see in file KA MUN MKR 1296 in Kriegsarchiv in Munich there have been produced 10'000 of this grenade in the early months of the war.
    The grenades has then kept in reserve in Köln. I don't know, if during the war they ever were used on the front.Uhrwerk Hg 2.jpgUhrwerk Hg 3.jpgUhrwerk Hg 4.jpg
    Uhrwerk Hg 1.jpg

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spoletta For This Useful Post:

MINENAZ16 (10th June 2019), SG500 (10th June 2019), sgdbdr (10th June 2019), Snufkin (10th June 2019), Spgr30 (24th July 2019)

Thanks
    on september 6th 1914 the „ stellvertretendes Ingenieur-Komitee“ wrote in a letter to the „general inspectorat“ of a new grenade from the Carbonit Sprengstoff AG with a clockworc fuze.
    It was decided then on September 16th to order 10‘000 of this grenades and to storage them in the fortification Köln. They should stay in reserve for the field formation of the pioniers.
    (source: Kriegsarchiv München, Mkr1296)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spoletta For This Useful Post:

SG500 (20th July 2019), Spgr30 (24th July 2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12