What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first world war german Clockwork Kugel grenade

I think they were definitely used in service . I've had a couple of them , both dug examples . The bodies turn up from time to time but seldom with the fuzes . Hope this helps.

I got a complete one in the post today, attached are a few photos along with the Kugel body I had previously.
If anyone has any more information on these please let me know.
Gau8

IMG_1805.jpgIMG_1806.jpgIMG_1807.jpgIMG_1808.jpgIMG_1810.jpgIMG_1811.jpgIMG_1812.jpgIMG_1814.jpg

I've never seen one but as Mills patented a clockwork grenade it's possible. I don't think the Mills ever got past trials stage. Maybe the kugal was the same. Looking at the photo it's clearly not a standard Kugal.

John

I got a complete one in the post today, attached are a few photos along with the Kugel body I had previously.
If anyone has any more information on these please let me know.
Gau8

View attachment 66958View attachment 66959View attachment 66960View attachment 66961View attachment 66962View attachment 66963View attachment 66964View attachment 66965

Hi Gau 8,

Very nice photos, thanks for posting. Looks to me like you have got yourself a very scarce item there - well done.

regards Kev

I'd be interested to know the history of these. I've only seen photos of 3 (these 2 and the one on Lex' site) and they all seem to be in similar condition. I wonder if they were all found together.

Dave.

Last edited:
Just bumping this thread, does anyone out there have more information on the Clockwork Kugel? I've googled it and apart from Lex's site there is hardly any information on it.
Dave.

i was looking for info too. surely there is more information on clockwork kugels somewhere?

Just to bump this thread.
I'm still looking for any information on this grenade.
If anyone has photos of their clockwork Kugels or any information about them, that would be great.
Thanks
Gau 8

Do we have confirmation they are German? As the other Kugels had complex exteriors, why is this more like a No 15? As Mills made a clockwork grenade could this be a clockwork No 15?

John

yes they are german "Kugelhandgranate mit Uhrwerksznder". I can't say when they got introduced but in 1918 they were considered as "obsolete, unusable live ammunition". There was a instruction that it is forbidden to return these grenades to the ammunition depots and to destroy existing stocks by explosion. I guess the fuzes proofed to be unsafe, especially when they had duds. A hanging clockwork fuze is never a funny thing.

Last edited:
I would also be interested in some info about these Kugel with clockwork. GAU 8 you seem to have one of the lowest Serial# (6) I've ever seen. The highest I know of is #46. Interestingly the style of your number is different from the others. Yours looks hand embossed while the others look machine embossed.

Hi Guys,
I have a copy of a document, dated September 1914 regarding the " Kugelhandgranate der Sprengstoff AG "Carbonit" which states that the Sprengstoff AG "Carbonit" introduced a new type of Kugelhandgranate with clockwork fuze to eliminate the unreliable fuze systems during this time by putting a clockwork type of fuze into it. The grenade is armed when thrown (the safety pin falls out by throwing the grenade. The grenade is filled with Fp.02. The3 grenade was also introduced for being used as a mine, the safety pin being pulled by arming wire layed and tightened at the ground. The General Inspection of Engineers in Berlin suggest and applied to purchase 10000 pieces of these grenades for a price of 5,50 Mark each. Signed with "Kriegsministerium, Allgemeines Kriegs-Department NR 2071/14.g. A6. Further is mentioned in these documents, that these grenades will be stored in the "Festung Coeln" and will be released for the " Feldformationen der Pioniere" Signed with General-Inspection, chief of staff, Major Friedrich.
The Document has a seal of the "Preussisches Kriegsministerium; geheimer Kanzleisekretaer".
Mr.Fuze, USA

As you see in file KA MUN MKR 1296 in Kriegsarchiv in Munich there have been produced 10'000 of this grenade in the early months of the war.
The grenades has then kept in reserve in Köln. I don't know, if during the war they ever were used on the front.Uhrwerk Hg 2.jpgUhrwerk Hg 3.jpgUhrwerk Hg 4.jpg
Uhrwerk Hg 1.jpg

on september 6th 1914 the „ stellvertretendes Ingenieur-Komitee“ wrote in a letter to the „general inspectorat“ of a new grenade from the Carbonit Sprengstoff AG with a clockworc fuze.
It was decided then on September 16th to order 10‘000 of this grenades and to storage them in the fortification Köln. They should stay in reserve for the field formation of the pioniers.
(source: Kriegsarchiv München, Mkr1296)