What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British and American WWII Lewis gun ammo boxes

fificat

Wonder if anybody has pictures of these WWII ammo boxes for the Lewis gun drum magazines? Resicast models has come out with a kit of four Lewis guns and some open and closed ammo boxes. But, in a modeling forum, people said they had never seen boxes like this used in WWII, especially by the LRDG in North Africa.

Kind of wonder if maybe the LRDG might have used the canvas bags with four drums in it. Useful for general stuff when empty, and lighter than the boxes would have been.

TIA for any info.

Last edited:
Cant help with the ammo box question, however I was of the opinion that the LRDG used the Vickers Gas Operated aircraft gun in the desert as opposed to the Lewis gun you mention. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

regards Kev

Hi Kev-
Pics I have seen of what they called the Scorpion--a Chevy with a Breda AA gun in the back--usually had the Lewis gun, normally in the back in the radio trucks, moved to the passenger side and manned by a chap there. For my model of this I wanted to have boxes or bags of extra drum magazines on the passenger seat. Usually models such as this don't show a lot of ammo lying around.

Arthur

I'd like to re-post this old question, but without considerations for WWII (vs WWI, interwar, etc.) nor for use by any particular unit (theater, platform, etc.) Does anyone have pictures of wooden ammunition boxes for the Lewis drum magazine? I have one that may have held four of the 47 round magazines, and there is currently a picture of another type crate currently on Gunbroker that may have held 9 or more. My box is missing the interior pieces, which I hope to duplicate from a good picture.
Thanks in advance
Taber