What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Counterfeit No 12 Grenades

Looking at SgtLynn's excellent site I came across his expose of fake hairbrush grenades. It makes for very interesting reading and it seems to me that one of the fakers has corresponded with SgtLynn in an effort to convince him that the grenades were genuine. The correspondence is quite old and I wondered if any of the personalities, and the grenades, were still around.

See http://members.shaw.ca/dwlynn/no12/no12.htm

Stuart

The fake ones were around about 12 years ago & still turn up from time to time . One of the giveaways is the body dimensions are slightly wrong as is the fuze pocket . The chances of finding a real one with perfect provenance is remote in the extreme . To my knowledge , there are only about 4 in the UK outside of museums & about the same number in the US . Be VERY cautious if ever you are offered one . The genuine article would be worth at least 2K !! Hope this helps.

The other type of grenade 'found in the farmhouse' (or wherever) was a No 44 Anti-tank grenade in some quantity it would appear (given the number of fakes that were around). It must be very exiting to find find a box of exceptionally rare No 12s (from 1915) and a box of rare No 44s from 1918; the chances of course are absolute zero. The No 44s were pretty well made by a competent engineer but nevertheless are quite easy to spot.

It was a shame that the people who made these were deliberately deceiving collectors. Given the rarity of the real thing they could have marketed them as replicas and made a reasonably comfortable, and honest, profit. Collectors would have been happy to fill the gaps with a modern specimen I'm sure. As it happens those who bought them must have felt pretty upset when they found out and the item is never the same after that.

here are some well made repros of the No12 and 44. the one on Daryls site has a very small box where as this one has a correct sized one. the 44 is the one mentioned by bonnex. they have No44 6/18 stamped on the top of the body and the date 6/18 on the brass transit plug. i bought these two when i didnt know any better :tinysmile_angry_t:. but they are still nice to have.
cheers, paul.

Attachments

• Page1No12mk1.jpg
    Page1No12mk1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Page2No44.jpg
    Page2No44.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 74
...but nevertheless are quite easy to spot.

QUOTE]

I should have said "quite easy to spot if you have handled several genuine examples" which, I only just realise, most people have not.

160.jpg157.jpg156.jpgThe real no12 shown on Daryls Grenade
Recognition site is mine. Here are a couple more photos, and also of my no44. As stated before, the detonator on the no12 is a repro (I made it myself). The most easily identifiable aspect of the fake 12's seem to be the color of the wood. Both of these grenades came from the same source, a defunct regimental museum. At one time there was a display of WWI Grenades. I'm sure both are original. Although these are the only examples I have ever had to examine, I am absolutely sure of the provenance. Neither of these came out of the UK. I first heard of the repro rumor about 7 or 8 years ago. As I understand it, the persons responsible for the fakes were going to test the waters with a couple of examples before extending their line. I don't know how many were made and sold, I've seen photos of two or three no 12's, they all looked the same. Hopefully there are not more of these out there. Also as stated, both of these types are so rare, even had they been identified as repro, they would have sold well to collectors with little hope of finding an original.....

Frizzen . Thanks for showing those pictures . Those are 100% correct & the other few in the US also came out of Regimental museums in Canada , I believe . I think the fake No12's had handles made of pine but the originals are a hard wood like ash or similar . Norman may be able to shed light on that aspect .

Mike,

I'm not sure about the wood type. The drawing just says "wood" and I don't have a copy of the specification. The ones I have seen were pretty course grained so it wouldn't surprise me if there were made out of the same wood as ammunition boxes, whatever that is.

There are some variations in the construction of the No 12. If I remember correctly Frizzen's has a cylindrical exploder container whereas others I have seen are rectangular and I know of two types of fabrication of the bodies.

Heres a few more pics of the repro i have.
Cheers, paul.

Attachments

• No 12 detail 1.jpg
    No 12 detail 1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 35
  • No 12 detail 2.jpg
    No 12 detail 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 34
  • No 12 detail 3.jpg
    No 12 detail 3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 41
  • No 12 detail 4.jpg
    No 12 detail 4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 33
  • No 12 detail 5.jpg
    No 12 detail 5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 59
  • No 12 detail 6.jpg
    No 12 detail 6.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 42
  • No 12 detail 7.jpg
    No 12 detail 7.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 39
notice on the label on pauls repro it says roburite... yep thats the intention to rob-u-rite
seriously its a very good repro/fake having never seen one i would have thought it was genuine

Is this of a 44 or part of one of the well made fakes? It certainly feels and smells old.
The diameter is 10 inches. The faint markings can be seen in the middle photo.
Dave.

IMG_1937.jpgIMG_1938.jpgIMG_1943.jpg

Dave . That could be original but has been trimmed a bit . Problem is , they used old material on the fakes ! Mike.