What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

303 MkIII

Andysarmoury

Premium Member
Hi I came across this today and was very surprised to find what the head stamp read, R^L 17 III it was all dirty when I got it and thought it was an ordinary case but the strange thing is there’s no flash holes, the story behind it is it came off the factory line where my Great grandfather worked at Woolwich whether it is true or not I don’t now but he did all the same work there, could this be a MkIII?
Andy

Attachments

• P1050369.JPG
    P1050369.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 38
  • P1050367.JPG
    P1050367.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Sorry to Disappoint Andy, but that is a case for an Inspectors Mark III. which is why it has no fire holes. It should be silvered also. Picture of mine attached.

Introduced in October 1911 at the same time as the Inspectors Mark IV. The III has the round nosed 215 grain bullet and the IV has the 174 grain spitzer. Both were officially replaced by the Mark V in June 1918.

The infamous Ball Mark III was only produced in one lot in 1897 which is why it is so rare. There are a number of "Mark III" rounds which can be confused with it, the Inspectors you have, the Cordite Blank Mark III and the Short Range Ball Mark III. The genuine Ball Mark III is headstamped "R^L C III".

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Insp III.jpg
    Insp III.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Thank you Tony i did have a feeling it might be but always hopefull, i have a spare round nose bullet so will finish it off would it be worth getting it silvered?
Cheers
Andy

No, I would not bother, partly because it is very difficult to get the correct colour and also because the silvering rapidly wore off in service. I have another one that has no silver left on it except inside the cap chamber.

Cheers
TonyE

Some of the original Mk.III Ball rounds, when withdrawn, were broken up and the cases used for Mk.V blanks. I have seen at least 2 of these over the years, so I am sure there must be more of them out there somewhere!

Roger.