What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irish Grenade ? mmmm

Irish

Irish? Yes I believe so and very few and far between (I hate to use the word 'rare' but it is probably appropriate in this case).Irish.jpg

Thanks N, very interesting, just goes to show that that you are never too old to learn ! Do you have any info on it ? would these have been made locally ? Regards, Tony.

Tony . I've seen one of those & as Norman says , they are VERY rare . Out of interest , there was also a British No36 produced in 1918 that's also known as the Irish grenade . It had a strange brass slide attached to the arming lever . Norman may be able to help with a picture of it . Mike

Mike,

Attached herewith a photo of a No.36 modified with experimental safety collar by the Irish Command Bombing School. Also the relevant TWC minute which explains it more concisely than I can; suffice it to say, it didn't progress. I don't know if this was referred to as the "Irish grenade", but it sounds very similar to what you are describing.

This safety theme was also revisited in early 1938 by a private inventor (Mr S C Caddy), and again it was quickly rejected.

Thanks as always to Norman (re the hardware).

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC08241.jpg
    DSC08241.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IBS collared expt.pdf
    333.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Tom. Brilliant ! Thanks for showing that . I'm sure not a lot of people are aware there was an Irish Bombing School in 1918...........

Mike,

Sorry I am late getting to this and pleasingly Tom has answered the question. The Irish Command Bombing School was in Dublin and, for those unfamiliar with the status of Dublin in 1918, this was before the creation of the Irish Free State so it was an ordinary part of the British Army structure.

Returning to Tony's subject of Irish grenades it will be no surprise that, even before 1970, the IRA etc., produced grenades. I know of two or three patterns but it is an area that is worthy of some study. Post 1970 there were close to twenty designs.

So, who did get the Irish grenade that started this thread?

I don't know who the buyer was as Bay don't let you see the biders these days BUT it made nearly 145 . I wish I'd kept the one I had now.......!!!

Thanks Mike. Interesting, if expensive, bit of history. I mentioned that I thought these extemporised grenades were worthy of documenting. I just wonder if there are enough examples pre-1969 to warrant a few sides of A4.

I don't know who the buyer was as Bay don't let you see the biders these days BUT it made nearly 145 . I wish I'd kept the one I had now.......!!!

Just checked the auction and 33% of the winning bidder bids were with the seller so i would think the seller still has it,,,,,, Dave

Irish? Yes I believe so and very few and far between (I hate to use the word 'rare' but it is probably appropriate in this case).View attachment 65974

I just thought I'd add a few more pictures of the grenade that Bonnex showed. It ended up in my Sons collection a few years ago and is still one of his favorites.
The pin/lever/striker assembly is quite crudely made. At approx 14 cm long a large and heavy grenade.
Last photo shows the diameter of the hole in the grenade that the striker assembly fits into.
All empty and INERT.
Dave.

IMG_5440.jpgIMG_5441.jpgIMG_5442.jpgIMG_5443.jpgIMG_5444.jpg