What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wished I hadn't run across this one

Yeah, you will notice that if you listen to the submachinegun sounds, that the grease gun fires much slower that it does in "The Dirty Dozen"

John,

Yes, the real thing is slower, by about half. One of the frequent visitors to the old range had a number of surplused "Stembridge" guns. His father had worked for them in '60s-'70s. Anyway, all of his examples were originals converted to blank-only use. In addition to barrel modifications(internally threaded BFD/BFA), different springs were used to facilitate full-auto fire with blanks. They were a hoot to shoot, but sadly, blanks were very expensive in comparison to the real stuff, so they were mainly brought along for the "Hey, look at this!" option and only a few "rounds" were expended. All of the cyclic rates were much higher; some near MAC-10 speeds, I suppose due to "softer" springs.

Pointblank0,

Yea, I'm still going thru it. Lots of neat stuff in there.

Rick

Rick,

My rifle coach in College was a Green Beret, and he told me they doubled the springs on them when they used them in Nam, to speed them up.