What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was inside P59 boxes at Arnhem

Oosterbeek

Any suggestion what was inside the P.59 ammo box during the battle of Arnhem. What did the british paratroops use this container for?
Several have been found here and I want to restore one with the proper markings. Any tips? Also for making the decals or stencils?
Regards from Beatifull Oosterbeek

Oosterbeek, if the painted markings have been destroyed and there are no other items in the area from the boxes it might prove difficult to prove what was in them. If you find evidence of 25lber ammunition then it will indicate that these particular boxes weren't used by the 1st Airborne Division. I think I am right in saying that Canadian troops liberated Arnhem eventually, they might have belonged to them. The Para artillery used 75mm howitzers which used a different box. If there are a lot of the P.59 it would point to artillery use rather than grenade use.

Question then is "were 25 pounders on Market Garden or do these containers date from a later operation in the area?"

Sorry crossed in post with previous.

Last edited:
That is a question indeed. For sure NO 25 pounder were used by the airbornes at Arnhem. So it must have been used for hand grenades, bombs for mortars or howitzers?? The 6pdr AT guns used different ammo carriers as far as I am aware, same for the 17 1/2 pdr.
Lots of gammon boms were used, same for mills grenades. I found many of these parts when i grew up here in the woods around Oosterbeek.
So what has been inside?

If you are able to see the manufacturers monogram on the box and it is either TSC/C (for Truscon Steel Co., Windsor, Ontario) or M/C (for Moffats Ltd., Weston, Ontario) then they are Canadian and you can draw you own conclusions as to content in view of LCpl Combat's comments.

P59 Mk2 was used for 24 No 82 Grenades in tin plate box No 376.

Last edited:
That is great info! Any idea what would be the markings on the outside looking like?
Does anyone have a picture or drawing or manual for where to put what markings on the boxes?
Thanks!

P 59 could also contain:

28 Bomb incendiary, 1 1/4 lb

17 Grenades Rifle A/T No 68

24 Grenades no 8o WP

Cheers

Hangarman

I dont kn ow about the boxes, but i used to make stencils for decorating furniture, walls etc and i found that overhead projector acetate sheets work quite well and give a crisper finish to the lines than cardboard.

i used to stick them down with masking tape nice and tight to prevent movement, then lift them off when dry.

if your just doing letters then a letter stencil set will work well with a paint pen