What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 PR 7 CWT driving bands

FNG61

Hello. There are two 6 Pr projectiles pictured here, both 43 dated. Why the different driving bands? The black one on the left is marked on the driving band; P 6PR 7CWT VI T 425 BS StC 8 8-43. The red one on the right (That cant be the original paint can it? It does look old.). It is marked on it's driving band; LOT 252 broad arrow , and then on the body above the band; SD / upside down V 582 / P 6PDS 7 CWT LVT / MC BS / LOT 252 9/43 . This should be an easy question for you guys. Thanks!

Attachments

• pr6pr.JPG
    pr6pr.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 93
Hello FNG61,

6 PR 7 CWT AP projectiles Mk's IT to IVT were fitted with 'Hotchkiss' type driving bands (band design DD(L)10399/1 or DD(L)10399/2) Mk's VT onwards had a simpler 'flat' design (DD(L)10399/6).

Quatermass.

Last edited:
Hi Q,
Does the same hold true for the US 57mm rounds?
...As I have only ever seen the more complex driving band.

I'll post some pics when I get home (and i don't forget)

Rich

As far as i'm aware the American ammuntion for the 57mm Gun M1 all had the more complex design of driving band.

Quatermass.