What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea Recovered WW2 D Day Sherman at Torcross

Weasel

Premium Member
Thought i would put up a few pictures of a sea recovered sherman tank local to me, i saw it being recovered many years ago and watched as it was dragged up the beach and the tracks started to turn. That was a long time ago and the elements have taken their toll, i will try and find some pictures i took at the time showing it in a better state.
This was one of many tanks that were used in the D Day practice landings that were carried out on Slapton Sands, this was a Duplex Drive version of the M4 a floating varient, not so floaty was this one as it ended up on the sea bed and not as a result of enemy fire that became a large feature of these landing, see Exercise Tiger for more info on that.
I must try and get some pictures of the inside of the turret in the future, the following pictures show the remains of the 9 cyl radial engine that powered it, and also one of the drive system that enabled the use of props for water.
Best regards Weasel.

Torcross Sherman 04.jpgTorcross Sherman 03.jpgTorcross Sherman 01.jpgTorcross Sherman 02.jpgTorcross Sherman 05.jpg

Ok a while since I posted this thread but going through a box of old black and white negatives that I took and scanning them I found a few pictures of the Sherman tank taken in the 1980's shortly after it was recovered. The details stamped into the rubber of the wheels is still really crisp, it is some 30 years later no longer visible unfortunately.
Best regards Weasel

Sherman Tank Wheel 1a.jpgSherman Tank wheel 2.jpgSherman Tank track detail 1a.jpgDrive Cog of Duplex 1a.jpgSecuring ring for canvas flotation kit 1a.jpg

Last edited:
I read a book a few years back by the guy who bought the rights to the tank. It explains alll his troubles with the local authority, firearms legislations, salvage laws, the logistics involved and of course funding.

Book name - "The forgotten dead" by Ken Small.

Well worth a read for anyone interested in the recovery of this tank. Very detailed.
dead.jpg

I spoke to Ken on a number of occasions as I used to live a few miles from Slapton Sands and found him at best to be awkward man to deal with. I have not read the book, but i am sure it gives a interesting view of the recovery. The tank is in danger of rusting away, a shelter of sorts would protect it a little more than being exposes to the salt air. There are one or two more tanks out there !
Best regards Weasel

Last edited: