What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplanes

Slick

These are from a collection of slides my father took during his USAF career that began in 1946 up through the SEA clusterfork. He was a Flight Engineer. I grew up attending airshows(Armed Forces Day) that allowed for up close and personal "inspection" of the displays. No rope-offs. Check out the armaments available on the F104, F4 and F105 (and note the F101, F102 & F106 in the background). The flight programs included super-sonic flybys 'cause nobody bitched about the noise back then. A point of pride if you had windows broken. Anyway, enjoy the pics.

Rick

Slides airplanes 002.JPG Slides airplanes 007.JPG Slides airplanes 009.JPG Slides airplanes 011.JPG Slides airplanes 012.JPG Slides airplanes 015.JPG Slides airplanes 019.JPG Slides airplanes 022.JPG Slides airplanes 021.JPG Slides airplanes 024.JPG Slides airplanes 025.JPG Slides airplanes 026.JPG Slides airplanes 027.JPG Slides airplanes 028.jpgSlides airplanes 028.jpg

Last edited:
Just LOVE the B-52, X-15 and that beautiful F-4. They remind me of "The good ol' days." I live just outside of what used to be the home of the 99th Bomb Wing in the 60's and 70's. Sure do miss that noise. Nowadays the yuppies complain about the "noise" the C5A's make. They know not of what they speak. There's nothing like a bunch of B-52s and KC-135s on a drill. That'll get the earjam runnin'.

Both F-105s are nice as is the F-104. By the way the USAF came to South Vietnam with F-104s and F-102s in the very begining. JG do you happen to know if the C-5s are still over at Dover AFB? I also thought they(C-5s) were one of the most quiet airplane around?

Like I stated before, where I grew-up I saw Thunderchiefs, Galaxies, Supersabers, Hercs, and Providers and an assortment of smaller airplanes and helipcopters. Saw all of the other Century series at the Airshow in Dayton. Dayton was like a pilgramige. Had to go every year and to see the AF Museum one day and the Airshow the next. What great years those were.

Gee, I had a sticker in the back of my window that showed the A-10 Thunderbolt II. I also had one for the F-15 when it first came out.

Hi Rick,
Some great pictures there, thank you for posting them. The B52 X15 and F104 are some of my favorite flying things of all time, wish i could get the chance to look around some of those. Jolly Green, must have been interesting to grow up that close to a bomb wing in those times, plenty of activity but also a target i would have thought.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Slick,Thanks for posting the pics,Aaaah nostalgia,the time when you could identify the type of plane by the sound it made,I must admit I prefer to see a huge props and clouds of smoke when they starts up,such as the Beverley transport plane,to quote from the Beverley site,"you could never get lost in a Beverley,you just followed the oil slick home,"
Regards and thanks,
Don,

While looking through more of the slides (there are 14 100 slide carousels, untold 50 "round" trays, and boxes and boxes loose) I came across the B58. One of MY all time favorites. And a bigger pic of the F4. (still looking for the others, John)

Rick

Slides airplanes 004.jpg Slides airplanes 006.jpg

Just noticed the B58 is reversed. Will replace in short order.

Last edited: