What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.303 bullet for Andy

As promised here are some Winchester WWI contract rounds plus a couple of others.

The 1914 Winchester is quite a scarce headstamp, most are in the format of the "W 15" which occur on both Mark VI and Mark VII types. The American Standard ia the equivalent of a British Ballistic Standard round, used to proof subsequent batches for pressure, velocity and accuracy.

The fired "RA 40 VII" case is also pretty rare. I have never seen a loaded round except one in the U.S. Note the primer securement which is identical to the Remington contract .300 rounds.

Finally there is a bullet from a "RA 16 VII" case and as you can see has the double cannelure. The base is stamped "U". Since it is the same length as a British Mark VII it must be assumed that these WWI contract rounds had the aluminium tip filler.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• US headstamps.jpg
    US headstamps.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Reminghton bullet.jpg
    Reminghton bullet.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for that Tony, would their MkVI have had a 215G bullet or the 174G one.
Cheers
Andy

Last edited:
Is this the correct drawing for the 160grn bullets and does anyone have a better drawing or a clearer copy are these the ones found in the Greenwood and Batley rounds

thanks
Richard

160 grn MkVII .303 drawing.jpg

Yes, that is the bullet. Is that the drawing I posted ages ago? It is too big to scan so I had to photograph it.

Regards
TonyE

I am honestly not sure where I got the picture from but it is most likely from here if you posted it, I do tend to save and print off any drawings or photo's I can to save for reference. I do always ask the person first though.

many thanks
Richard.