What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Markings on ELAZ C/50 (5)

Bellifortis

I have been looking for pictures of the early No.5 here in the forum, where the model info was stamped only on the fuze head. I found the following markings: Rh.S.G. 4d and 28d and 32a and 39a. The member from spain showed 2 nice early fuzes stamped Rh.S. 195 G and below that 5c in brass, the other one in Al. stamped Rh.S. 195-38 and below that 46c.
I assume that Rh.S. stands for Rheinmetall Soemmerda, but what das the G. and the one or 2 digit numbers with the small letter ending mean and what does the number 195-38 in the spanish example stand for ? All the other brass fuzes do not show any manufacturing date. I'm happily looking forward to the answers of experts.
Bellifortis.

Hi B,

I would have though the 'G' is for 1936? Have you a link to the fuze you have seen please?

waffy

I have been looking for pictures of the early No.5 here in the forum, where the model info was stamped only on the fuze head. I found the following markings: Rh.S.G. 4d and 28d and 32a and 39a. The member from spain showed 2 nice early fuzes stamped Rh.S. 195 G and below that 5c in brass, the other one in Al. stamped Rh.S. 195-38 and below that 46c.
I assume that Rh.S. stands for Rheinmetall Soemmerda, but what das the G. and the one or 2 digit numbers with the small letter ending mean and what does the number 195-38 in the spanish example stand for ? All the other brass fuzes do not show any manufacturing date. I'm happily looking forward to the answers of experts.
Bellifortis.

Hi,

I believe 'G' is 1935
The one and two digit numbers followed by a small letter are batch numbers.
195-38 is a batch number = 195 followed by date =38 1938

I think maybe you will find the G code on brass fuzes and the 38 on alloy fuzes - brass was used in early fuzes but appears to have been switched to alloy around 1936 - though maybe one of the fuze collectors can confirm/ correct this.

hope this helps
regards Kev

Thank you all for your helpful answers. There are some more questions I have. On page 11 of "Cutaways" Fusee 2004 shows a very nice cutaway of such an early brass C/50 (5) inside the boostertube. This fuze is of type 1 construction, where you can screw off the upper switchblock casing, but the fuzehead or boss is seperate from the casing, just a brassdish with the markings on. How is this brassplate fastened to the switchblock ? This switchblock is completely different from the later models in design and material. The later switchblocks of all the ELAZ fuzes are a standardised polystyrene moulding. This early brass fuze has some black coloured, artificial material as a switch block. What is this material ? In the cutaway one can see a horizontal, oval opening in the massive switchblock. This is closed by some brown coloured material that seems to have been liquid poured in that has hardened. What is this brown stuff ? I assume that this hole was for assembling some part(s) and that the rest of the parts of the switchblock were assembled first from an opening in top and bottom. Where are the switches sitting in this construction ?
Thanking you in advance
Greetings,
Bellifortis