What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW2 75mm Gr 38 Hl paint

jeff w

Have a 75mm Gr Hl projectile that I am going to repaint, but am not sure about the color. Some of the original paint remains and it looks to be tan (I thought they were painted green). However on the bottom it does appear green.
Does the green fade into tan over time? Anyone have a Gr Hl with original paint?

hl38004.jpg

hl38003.jpg

My advice would be please, please do not repaint your projectile. That is the original finish.

It looks like it is a white "Tropen" projectile which I think was painted over the normal green colour. It would be like buying a da Vinci and then taking your own paints to "fix it". I would only ever recommend repainting if you have only the bare metal finish with all the original paint already gone.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 7,5 cm Gr 38 h.jpg
    7,5 cm Gr 38 h.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 80
I have to agree with PC. Leave it be in its original condition. It will display much better than a repaint. Just my 2 cents.

I have to agree with PC. Leave it be in its original condition. It will display much better than a repaint. Just my 2 cents.

yeah - maybe you guys are right - although the other side from the picture is all rust!

I will have to repaint the top piece thoudh as it had no paint and required body filler.

Interesting pic of yours with the green top. The one I had came out of the Ukraine, so I don't know if it was painted for the tropics...

Question now is should I paint the head the same color as the body, or paint the head green like yours..

Thanks guys.

yeah - maybe you guys are right - although the other side from the picture is all rust!

I will have to repaint the top piece thoudh as it had no paint and required body filler.

How I understand what the white stuff is on the cap in your picture. The cap is made of a zinc alloy so it corrodes really easily. A lot of the projectiles in collections may not have the origianl matching cap for this reason and it is possible that is why my cap is green. Sometimes the cap and body are stamped with a number but I am not sure if this is always present.

As for the rust on the main body, I wouldn't worry about that. You can use methods to clean the rust without removing the orginial paint and there is a load of information in the 'Restoration' section explaining this.

Post some pictures of the complete projectile showing both sides please.

PC

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 77
This is a rare color, i have got 1 in my collection, i found it in Finland, white color is very hard to find, do not repaint please, regards Ben

I agree with with the unanimous response so far - Do Not Repaint!!

Ben - Perhaps you could take a picture of your round to show?

Rich

I am at the moment in Norway for vacation, will be back next week, will make a picture and put it on the forum, Ben

Hi

That appears to have a threaded area in the rear for a tracer. Can anyone tell me if only the HL/C versions had tracers?

Thanks
Lew

Interesting pic of yours with the green top. The one I had came out of the Ukraine, so I don't know if it was painted for the tropics...

Question now is should I paint the head the same color as the body, or paint the head green like yours..

Thanks guys.

A lot of equipment that had been prepared to be used in Afrika, ended up being sent to units serving on the southern part of the eastern front when the "Afrika situation" turned sour for the Germans.

Hi

That appears to have a threaded area in the rear for a tracer. Can anyone tell me if only the HL/C versions had tracers?

Thanks
Lew

Hl/B version could also have a tracer, see scheme from H.Dv. 199-223 of the 7,5 cm Geb G 36.

Attachments

• H.Dv. 119-223 7,5 cm Geb G 36.jpg
    H.Dv. 119-223 7,5 cm Geb G 36.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 30