What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Hispano SAPI

cornman

Hi,
can someone tell me what kind of incendiary material was used in the 20mm Hispano SAPI projectile in WW2?

Cheers, Cornman

SR 379 incendiary composition, according to Labbett & Mead.

Just don't ask me what SR 379 consists of, I haven't a clue!

SR379 is a mixture as follows ( % by weight) -
Magnesium/Aluminium alloy (50/50) 47%
Barium Nitrate size 120 50%
Paraffin Wax 3%

(Source - Service Textbook of Explosives JSP333)

Interesting; seems that these rounds have detonators.. Never knew that. does someone has (cutaway) pics or a good drawing of this?

Regards, Cornman

Last edited:
Not the SAPI , but an opened SAPI(R).(representing).
The AP nose and felt washer would be the same and the detonator here is represnted by the top (wider) part of the inert/alloy filler.
SAPI(R).JPG

cheers
Bob

Thanks Tony, this picture helps a lot! Ofcourse if someone has more or more detailed pics, please show them!
Now, the results of my question went further than I expected!
Does somebody perhaps have a discription of how the primer worked, as I don`t see a striker pin on Tony`s picture?

Regards, Cornman

Hi Cornman ,
I believe the detonator is actioned by compression on ballistic contact.So no actual striker.The felt washers would provide a small area of movement.

cheers
Bob

Hey Bob,
That must be indeed the most likely explanation. If someone has a discription from a manual or so, let it know. It would be nice to see this explanation to be confirmed.

Cheers, Cornman

Ref. the manual(A.P.110L-0102-1) and Labbett, the det. is similar to the ZY as fitted to the #917 fuze.

917 DET.jpgDET.jpg

Hope this helps.

cheers
Bob

Thanks all for your info! Extended my knowledge! If someone has an addition, offcourse feel free to add!

Cornman