What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Snowflake" rocket flare launcher, any around please?

Observer

I've been pointed in the direction of this forum as I beielve you may be able to offer some assistance. I'm looking for a Snowflake Rocket Projector for my Royal Observer Corps display as these were used by ROC posts initially to warn damaged aircraft of higher ground, and later as part of Operation 'Totter', the British defence against the V1. Has anyone ever seen one of these around or know where I may be able to obtain one please?

Thanks in advance.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/planejunky/ROC/Snowflakeflares.jpg

Welcome to BOCN Observer.
Not heard of the "snowflake" before but looks like an interesting piece of kit.
Good luck on your quest.
Hangarman

Welcome Observer.
In your research you may have seen this page -
http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/rocketrocket/rockets.htm

which has a short section on "Snowflake" rockets containing links to images purporting to be those rockets. Neither image resembles the items in your linked photo/diagram.
However at the foot of the cyber-heritage page is a section on "Schermuly Wire Barrage "rockets with linked images. The second image shows a launcher and rocket similar to yours ( less the wire tail).

I am trying to work out how the launcher in your diagram actually functions with the rocket that is depicted, especially as the launcher has a breech and barrel.
Perhaps I am missing something ( an age thing).

Maybe some further information may be beneficial to readers.
It looks an interesting project. Good to see something away from the "regular" living history dioramas.

Just be aware that the launcher is most likely covered in some way by the firearms act. If you find one I would think it would need to be deactivated in some way.

Just be aware that the launcher is most likely covered in some way by the firearms act. If you find one I would think it would need to be deactivated in some way.

My thoughts too, hence my request in an earlier post for more info. I have concerns regarding it being a weapon with a barrel!

Mmmmm I'm thinking it maybe safer all round to create a replica for display purposes. I'm on the ROCA Heritage Team, so have requested access to the one owned by the ROC Museum and currently on loan in Newhaven Fort. I'll get it all measured up and take it from there. Thanks for the help everyone, it's much appreciated. :tinysmile_twink_t: