What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finnish experimental cases

Tmine35

Premium Member
I thought this might interest some members here. I recently got for my use 4 different case sizing dies used at VKT factory in late 1930's for manual manufacturing of very small series of cases for experimental guns. Based on information from drawings and and some existing cases I made a set of reproductions. Raw cases were turned in a lathe from solid brass bar, as originally and then sized in dies.

From left they are:
-20x75B. No idea when made and for which gun. I know one original case which has no headstamps. The die also was unmarked.

-20x81. Die is marked L-38 which was one of the prototype airplane cannons. I have one original case dated 1938.

-20x98,5B. Die is marked L-37 which also was one of the prototypes never made in series. I have one original case without headstamps.

-15x109,5B. Here I have only imagined the head design and total length, this may as well be a non-belted case. 15mm guns were never made in Finland, a 15mm ATMG L-34 was on drawing board but never made. A drawing of it's case and projectile have survived but dimensions do not match with this. The die is marked ( translated from Finnish ) "15mm E-case". Further according to neck outside diameter projectile diameter is 15,5mm .

All case heads are permanently marked so that one day these may not continue their life as "original".

Attachments

• cases.jpg
    cases.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 124
No Bob, not going into production. I made 2 cases for these and my mate and myself will each have one complete round in our collections.
Reproduction, fake or how you want to call it is not what I'll sell around:tinysmile_shy_t:

Last edited:
I think it will interest many of you to add in this topic pictures of my mate's project. He wanted to try making bullets and cases "the right way". He did choose a cartridge that was never made, though good drawings do exist. It is 15x120B for Lahti L-34 heavy machine gun. A few prototypes were made in caliber 13,2x120 for different cases and some of them also served in WW2 in armoured car use. A 15 mm version was also planned but then dropped before production.

Drawings show case and projectile dimensions. Case was pressed from a round brass plate, in several stages. Copper jacket as well and projectile has a steel core.
Case head is marked so that nobody can later on think it is original. My mate had to do enormous tests and mistakes, but I take my hat off when I see his skill.

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• case dwg.JPG
    case dwg.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 23
  • proj dwg.JPG
    proj dwg.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 21
  • parts.JPG
    parts.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 35
  • round.jpg