What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.22 scamp

SpudGun

I was wondering, about the .22 SCAMP. I've read more than once or twice that there were only 500 rds made. But I'm sure that there are more than 500 rds in the collector collection, almost every collector I know has one. Maybe it was 5000 rds made for the trial ?

22scamp_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
There are a number of rounds on developmental cases without the SCAMP headstamp that could account for a greater number than the 500.

The SCAMP (Small CAliber Machine Pistol) prototypes were made from 22 Hornet brass. They are much more rare than the Colt made production cartridges. The most reliable estimate is that 1000 of the Colt cartridges were made. I believe that some guys made up the lower number to make their cartridges worth a little more. There was only one pistol and the project was abandonded early on and so few of the Colt cartridges were fired. That accounts for their apparant abundance. But, I don't think every collector has one, but the US experimental cartridges have a way of showing up in England so maybe everyone there does have one. Most of the tests were done with the prototype cartridges and I can guaran-damn-tee you that not everbody has one of them.

Ray
15q8a61.jpg