What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. WWI 3-inch HE Mark I AA shell...

shelldude

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse, but after completing a trade with Lou, I was finally able to put together my complete 3-inch Mark I HE AA projectile with it's Mark II AA fuze and 3-inch Mark II casing used in the mobile M1918 AA gun.

Best regards,

Randall

P.S. I have no idea why that strange whitish shadow streak appears on my 3rd photograph.

P1010005.JPGP1010006.jpgP1010007.jpgP1010008.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010013.jpg

Last edited:
Mmmm, nice! Looks familiar somehow!

Seems odd, such a long round for a gun with what seems to be a relatively short barrel.

My case has those ink markings around towards the base too...also noticed today it is marked "Flashless" around the mouth....

Hello Mike,

The "M.V.2400F.S." indicates muzzle velocity of 2400 feet per second. The "D.P.X. 948A indicates the Lot number of the propelling powder. Your "FLASHLESS" indicates that flashless powder was used.

Best regards,

Randall

It makes you wonder how they ever hit an airplane with those mechanical time fuzed projectiles. I was a USN Gunners Mate - we used VT fuzes almost exclusively and it was hard enough with them.

Great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Ray

Hello Ray,

We started to use VT fuzes in 1944 and the hit ratio of our AA ammunition improved significantly. I'm with you, I really can't imagine how they scored a successful hit with the early AA fuzes.

Randall

Well, it mighta been easier back then, what with the top speed of maybe 100-150mph for most of the aircraft. But yea, 99% luck to hit one even then.

It makes you wonder how they ever hit an airplane with those mechanical time fuzed projectiles.

This one is just a inaccurate burning pyrotechnical working fuze (PTTF), a mechanical fuze with clockwork would be ways better.

Alpini

You are correct. It's a PTTF. I used the word "mechanical" to indicate it was set by hand or with a mechanical fuze setter. Even the later fuzes with clockwork weren't a lot better because there was still the delay between setting the fuze and firing the cartridge. Even at a slow 100 mph, a target would travel nearly 500 feet.

Ray