What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenger 2 Tank APFSDS 120mm DS PRAC SABOT Round L29A1

Bumping this as ive got parts of one coming my way,,would like to see any other examples of the L29A1 members may have so i can rebuild it.
thanks
Allan
apologies for the small pic

Attachments

• IMG_20120924_124952.jpg
    IMG_20120924_124952.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 82
I also have one of these with a reproduction sub-projectile and missing its driving band and stabilizer protector cup. Does anyone have a photo of the sub-projectile dart?

Jason

Thanks so much for the great photo! Really appreciate it a lot as I have never seen the sub-projectile before. Very interesting cone stabilizer design.

Jason

FANTASTIC information! Thanks so much for the great link. I am printing it out for my reference collection. THANKS BIG TIME!

Jason

The philosophy behind the design was to produce a training round which was relatively cheap to produce, would give a ballistic match over the initial firing range, I think about 1.5 to 2km, but which would then become unstable and fall giving a significantly reduced firing range safety trace requirement in use. Additionally it would more accurately represent the main KE round while undertaking firing training which the earlier DS-T (APDS training round) no longer did in terms of handling and loading.

Thanks big time Old_ROF!

I have always been fascinated by "Range Reduction" designs in tank fired DS ammunition. Most cone stabilizers are fitted with highly precise ports or flutes that are aerodynamically "Open" at certain distances and speed. Over a known distance and as the sub-projectile slows they become aerodynamically "Closed" causing it to become unstable and fall to the ground with-in a safe distance. This L29A1 looks like it has no ports or flutes? Super interesting!

Jason

My question is, does the US still use the M-735 sub-projectile or something similar, in there Tanks? thank you, VaughnIMG_0078.jpg

To the best of my knowlege, no. The M735 APFSDS is an early generation US 105MM APFSDS-T round shot from the M1 Abrams tank using the M68 riffled barrel. The US now uses the M1A1 Abrams tank and the M1A2 tank which are both fitted with a German M256 120MM smooth bore gun. At one time the US sold a lot of M735's to Egypt and other countries and the round may be made under license in other countries. There has been some major 105MM APFSDS advances since the M735. After the M735, the US used the M774, then the M833 and then the M900 105MM APFSDS-T DU rounds. The US also made other 105MM APFSDS-T rounds for other countries and some joint collaborations, one of my favorites is the Excaliber.

Jason

Last edited: