What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bofors and Tolfvan bombs

Russian bombs are also totally different than those in Finnish manual. I have a part of another old publication describing Russian bombs and fuzes, but have a feeling that manual was mostly for EOD purposes.
It's indeed rather strange - beyond Tolvan and Bofors, the Finns are known to have used british bombs (not only the small ones 20lbs and 40lbs that were used in SBC inside the Bleinheims but also 120lbs and 250lbs UK and possibly 25lbs incendiaries) and German bombs (delievred for the Ju88 to avaoid the technical problems taht happened when the Bleinheim were introduced and the racks and bomb bay needed to be modified to accomodate Tolfvan/Bofors bombs) - and possily soviet bombs. This manual raises another source, still unknown (at least to me) till now.

I just found yesterday photo evidence for the use of Swedish MinBombs 50KgM/37 by the Finns during the Winter war

I just found yesterday photo evidence for the use of Swedish MinBombs 50KgM/37 by the Finns during the Winter war
Here's the pic - the outer bomb is the Swedish one - the others are a mix of frag and incendiary 12g/12.5kg (Both Swedish and Finnish bombs of this category were similar to the original Bofors design)
svenskabombsfinland.jpg

Last edited:
@DreamK where did u find the designation 250 kg pansarbomb m/41? Ive never seen that designation although there is an elusive 500 kg pansarbomb but that one lacks a designation in its source.

Alse since i sort of necroed this thread. The finns used bombs from all over the world. German, Norwegian, Swedish, Russian, British and Finnish bombs. Some bombs, a type of firebomb as an example was designed by Saab just for the Finnish. It was to be used on their armed dc-3 if i remember.

Well the (?) after the 250kg Pansarbomb M/41 indicates that this entry is indeed suspect - and, indeed, this list, originating in a Swedish forum, does not include the 500kg Pansarbomb.

The list of Swedish bomb I currently got is the following
50 kg minbomb m/37
250 kg minbomb m/37
250 kg minbomb m/40
500 kg minbomb m/41
50 kg övningsbomb m/40
250 kg övningsbomb m/40
50 kg lysbomb m/43A
12 kg Sprängbomb m/37
50 kg sprängbomb m/42
6kg brandbomb m/39

Would the 6kg Brandbomb m/39 (Thermit) be the SAAB designed bomb?
Brandbomb m39, termit brandbomb FVM.152975.jpg

Would you have more info on the following Swedish bomb designated as "5kg finsk modell" (Length 365mm Diameter 140mm)
Bomb 5 kg (finsk modell) blind 022yhzAN4Sv9.jpeg

BTW this a very similar looking Swedish training bomb also designated as "finsk modell"
Övningsbomb finsk 032yhzALa8cJ.jpeg

Do you happen to have data and drawings/ pictures about the Norwegian bombs ? The only data I have on these are a couple of pics - one showing what seems to be a Swedish 250kg Minbomb and a museum example of a 12kg (origin unknown) bomb with an interesting looking fuze.
Ammunitionsförråd i vallgraven, bomber. download.jpg download 1.jpg

Last edited:
Ive updated the Swedish areal bomb wikipedia with all the types i am aware of by designation if u want to update ur list.
https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flygbomb#Svenska_bomber_efter_viktklass_och_år

As for the firebombs i think (digging deep into the abyss of my head now) where 50 kg in weight. I dont remember the original source but ive found another one at least mentioning the bombs.
http://www.saabveteranernatrollhattan.com/Arkiv/kurt_lalander.htm
Saab were to give a finnish DC2 an mg turret and ordinance for dropping firebombs.
The 6kg brandbomb m/39 was only used in Finland by the Swedish volunteer air wing F 19 and not by the actual Finnish air force (at least to my knowledge). They were used on the Swedish planes J 8A and B 4A.

The 5 kg bombs u mention they were all training bombs.
https://digitaltmuseum.se/021026619592/bomb (white head = white tracer/smoke signal)
https://digitaltmuseum.se/021026619589/bomb (red head = red tracer/smoke signal)
https://digitaltmuseum.se/021026620759/bomb (called "blind" which means the same in English = no tracer/smokesignal)
These were not used by the Swedish air force acording to my sources and considering that they are called "finsk modell" = Finnish model, they were (comparing to other ordinances ive found with similar naming schemes) designed in Finland but it could theoretically also mean they were designed for Finland.

For Norwegian bombs i dont know much but they were mostly used on the finnish M.F.11's. It is also possible that Finland got or bought stocks of Norwegian bombs from the Norwegians prior to the war and got/bought them from the Germans efter the invasion of Norway. The first picture below the 5kg bombs is most likely Swedish 250 kg minbomb m/37. The 12 kg bomb says "flybomb" on it which is Norwegian for flight-/arealbomb.

As for the M.F.11 it could carry 4x 50 kg bombs under the vings and 3x 100 kg bombs under the fuselage. A 200 kg (440lb) bomb or a depthcharge under the fuselage could later be equiped due to Finnish mods on the plane. The finns also changed the guns on it to 7,92 mm. There is some indication that Norway used some bombs made or designed by Fokker.

Last edited:
Is not that the same? This is located in Delft Holland in the Military Museum

Attachments

• download 1.jpg
    download 1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Museum Delft Holland..JPG
    Museum Delft Holland..JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 27
Looks indeed very similar. What's it is doing in Delft is quite a mystery - this is not a Dutch bomb. Do you have data on weight and dimensions? Can someone identify the fuzes? this could give us a lead...

Last edited:
I did mention that there is some indication that Norway used bombs by Fokker, aka dutch bombs. I wonder where this rabbit hole leads.

I looked in my files and found this (from mthe Norge Defense Forces museum):
Ovingsbombe (practice bomb) 10 kg
Øvingsbombe 10 kg 012uN2Pc7vcs.jpg
I went through the whole series of Dutch interwar bombs and it is not there. Best is to ask Chris - it's his very one garden :)) - I sent him a PM , let's wait and see