What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surviving British 5.5 inch naval guns - in the Faroes!

Tony Williams

Just back from a short break, which took me to the Faroe Islands. I walked up to an old fort guarding the entrance to Torshavn harbour which was adorned with the usual group of bronze muzzle-loaders, only to see a couple of big 20th century guns still in place. It turns out that the fort was the base for the British forces which occupied the Faroes in WW2 in order to prevent Germany from establishing a base there.

Anyway, I naturally went down and inspected the guns, and was interested to discover from the breech markings that they are 5.5 inch 50-calibre Mk 1 guns made by Coverntry Ordnance Works in 1916 (gun numbers 35 and 42). Offhand, the only ship I knew which carried such guns was HMS Hood (they were removed in 1940). On checking Friedman's new book Naval Weapons of World War One (highly recommended, btw) I note that the 5.5 inch guns were initially designed for a pair of Greek cruisers which were taken over by the RN at the start of WW1 and named Birkenhead and Chester, and were also fitted to Furious, Hermes, and the sub K17.

Some web searches brought up more info, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BL_5.5_inch_Mark_I_naval_gun and here: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_55-50_mk1.htm which reveal that only 81 guns were built altogether, and the Faroes guns came from the Furious.

The guns are rusty and neglected, but otherwise not in bad shape. The breech markings also contained the name HOLMSTROM, describing the type of Welin breech mechanism. I'll try to sort out some photos later, if anyone's interested.

Hi Tony,
Sounds like you had a really good trip, I would like to see some pictures of the guns if you have a chance to post any.
Best regards Weasel.

Here you go:

5.5-1.jpg

5.5-2.jpg

5.5-4.jpg

5.5-5.jpg

Great pictures Tony,
Thank you very much for taking them time to post them, good to see such a pair of guns still in situ.
Best regards Weasel.

Nice photos Tony. It is also good that the breech block is still there. They are often removed on guns that are left in place.

With some shot blasting, a coat of paint and some grease, those guns would look really nice.

Did you try to to operate the breech mechanism?

With some shot blasting, a coat of paint and some grease, those guns would look really nice.

Did you try to to operate the breech mechanism?

Yes, with the replacement of some lost bits they would look pretty good. I didn't try to operate the breech.

Great photos. A friend of mine has just been up there and took some pictures. jealous!
These two guns were taken from HMS Furious.

To confuse the issue, the following image on the IWM site is clearly a 5.5 BL, but is titled:

"4-inch naval gun at a coastal defence battery in the Faroe Islands, 18 June 1941."

strange...
I think there were 4-inch guns up there but unable to find pictures.