What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 1/2 Pr

Bonnex

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
In 1904 trials took place with the new 18Pr Field Gun with 18 1/2 pound and 20 pound projectiles. The photograph shows an unfired empty HE shell presumably from the trials programme. It is marked with the number 2 on the body and 18 1/2 Pr FIRTH on the base. Also a photo of a thinly marked Case, Cartridge, 18Pr Mark IV dated 1940 VAEL Manufacture (Vickers).

18PrMkIVcase.jpg18halfPrHE1.JPG18halfPrHE2.jpg

Hi
HE Shell really interesting.
They is probably the first tests of construction of HE shell for the casing Mk I with throat of setting and primitive driving band primitive as shapnel Mk I and II for casing Mk I
Is the reducer of eye also strange, is it to receive the fuze 80/44 or 44 only?
The first HE shell in service 18Pr Mk I does not have this throat under the driving band and was used with the casing Mk II since 1914

Hi
HE Shell really interesting.
They is probably the first tests of construction of HE shell for the casing Mk I with throat of setting and primitive driving band primitive as shapnel Mk I and II for casing Mk I
Is the reducer of eye also strange, is it to receive the fuze 80/44 or 44 only?
The first HE shell in service 18Pr Mk I does not have this throat under the driving band and was used with the casing Mk II since 1914

Dear Doctor,

The fuze adapter is GS gauge I believe so a No 44 should be good fit. I will see if I can find anything in OB Procs to indicate the fuze used in the trials.
Herewith another FIRTH 18 1/2 Pr projectile which I assume to be Common Pointed rather than AP. It needs a good clean but I expect it to be numbered 1 or 3.

18halfPrCP2.JPG18halfPrCP1.jpg