What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify This WW1 Shell I Found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

Banned
I found this round while exploring a field
in the somme in france,

IT HAS BEEN DISARMED

I dont know much about this but it looks
like a german howitzer round, Its missing the driving band & I dont have a
clue about the fuze or primer on this round. It has a brass circle on the bottom
like the casing would have with a letter "m" & a strange symbol that looks
like a "a" with a long tail surrounding a "w"?

poppy.gif

Please help me find out what this is
smile.gif

The Pictures Are
Below...

Last edited by a moderator:
hi .as a possable hazzard you should not have posted on bocn .your best bet is to let the authoritys know asap.

hi .as a possable hazzard you should not have posted on bocn .your best bet is to let the authoritys know asap.

sorry i copied this topic of mine from another site & pasted it on here without updating it, it has been disarmed but i still do not know what it is

Zephyr,

I dont really know where to begin,

You have picked up a potentially live piece of ordnance in a WW1 battlefield and removed it ! not only illegal but also very reckless behaviour not only to you and anyone else with you, but not only that you decided to bring it back with you endangering other people in the process.

You say in your post that it has been "disarmed" Well from looking at the pictures you posted this round has not been touched and nor should it be, no EOD personel from either France or the UK would even consider a render safe procedure on an item like this. It would be collected and taken for disposal,

You have in my opinion a live round and it must be reported to the police immediately who will arrange for the proper authority to deal with this item, please see below.

Reporting live ordnance

Within the UK we have a system in place for reporting suspect items of Ordnance, wether dug up, found, in a collection or shop etc etc.

First of all, contact the Police, they will put in place a system to have the item removed or destroyed by an EOD team that are always on 24/7 standby for the public safety (its their job, so dont be sorry).

In the event of it being free from explosive they do have the jurisdiction to hand back to you as it is your property and not theirs unless it has explosive inside (or unless you have stolen it).

Don't worry about speaking with the Police, rather you be safe than loosing parts of your body and it gives them something different to deal with. They will not arrest you (normally) or put you in court unless you are doing something very dodgy / terrorism / working outside normal rules of FAC and/or explosive handling, producing something nasty, have a launch mechanism for a missile (please check home office guidance or police guidelines).

The above is for UK but other countries will have similar procedures in place

Weasel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.