What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panzerhandmine 4?

Ivashkin

Premium Member
In Soviet manual which was printed in 1945 I`ve seen this charge/grenade. It simillar to Panzerhandmine 3, but has few differents. Is it Panzerhandmine 4?
How I`ve read on Lex web-site (http://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europe/germany/panzerhandmine3magnetic.html) Panzerhandmine 4 has four magnets, but this has 6. But this is book weight 4 kg, like Panzerhandmine 4.
Characteristics from Soviet book:
Weight - around 4 kg.
Mass of explosive - 800 g (main charge) + 75 g (detonator).
Diametr - 144 mm.
High - 270 mm.
Material of body - caкboard.
Who and what can tell about this situation? :tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• Panzerhandmine_4.jpg
    Panzerhandmine_4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 112
Can't really help in this matter, but only increase the confusion:

Panzerhandmine 4 - 03.jpg

This poor postwar EOD-factsheet doesn't say something new; nevertheless it shows four pairs of two magnets each (= eight)!?

Obviously the Luftwaffe developments of army equipment have been always quite a mess with doubtful results; see also the leichte Panzermine (l.Pz.Mi.) and the E.S.Mi.Z.40-system.

Can't really help in this matter, but only increase the confusion:

View attachment 69146

This poor postwar EOD-factsheet doesn't say something new; nevertheless it shows four pairs of two magnets each (= eight)!?

Obviously the Luftwaffe developments of army equipment have been always quite a mess with doubtful results; see also the leichte Panzermine (l.Pz.Mi.) and the E.S.Mi.Z.40-system.

Thanks, Sudelmuk.
I think were different variants Panzerhandmine 4, because on Your picture 8 magnets, on mine - 6, but Lex has written about 4 magnets (or Lex has meant four pairs of magnets?)! And in that moment simillar weight. I think it defenetly Panzerhandmine 4, but which maybe was made with some details from Panzerhandmine 3.
And interesting fact. In Soviet book about anamy demolition equipment which was printed in 1943 only HaftHohlladung 3, but weren`t german magnet grenades Panzerhandmine and Panzerhandmine 3.

Phm 3/4

Hello,
If the body (3 pairs of magnets) was made of cardboard, it was rather a variant of PHM3. PHM4 is definitely having 4 pairs of magnets - metal bottom with cardboard upper part. Here some pictures that probably show such "cardboard" PHM3.
415 - PHM-3 Cardboard.jpg

Hello,
If the body (3 pairs of magnets) was made of cardboard, it was rather a variant of PHM3. PHM4 is definitely having 4 pairs of magnets - metal bottom with cardboard upper part. Here some pictures that probably show such "cardboard" PHM3.
Thanks for information!
Let it be "cardboard" PMH3. We don`t have good information about PHM4, but now we know about PHM with body made of cardboard :)

I know this is an old thread, but rather than starting a new one, here are pictures of a P.H.M.4 I recently picked up. The top portion is a REPRODUCTION made from wood since the original top was made from explosive cardboard material. The bottom portion has the 4 sets of magnets that help differentiate this from the P.H.M.3.

Attachments

• 3256 (1) - Copy.JPG
    3256 (1) - Copy.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 58
  • 3256 (2) - Copy.JPG
    3256 (2) - Copy.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 3256 (8) - Copy.JPG
    3256 (8) - Copy.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 3256 (9) - Copy.JPG
    3256 (9) - Copy.JPG