What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm Mle. 1916 HE shell projectile with attachment

I have posted images of this item on the website before, identified as a French Mle. 1916 H.E. shell. There are two notches diametrically opposite each other on the nose of the projectile, which I assume were used to fix it to the shell during assembly. If I wanted to remove the brass piece (Trench art) fitted between the nose and the shell itself, which way would I unscrew the nose, clockwise or anti clockwise, assuming that I am looking down on the top of the shell.

DSCF2571.jpg DSCF2582.jpg

Thanks for that info darren.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know the direction of twist of the rifling on the inside of the barrel of the cannon that would have fired this type of round. Looking from the loading end of the barrel, was the twist to the right, giving the projectile a clockwise spin as it exited the gun, or to the left, giving it a counter clockwise spin. I am curious, because in a projectile like the one above (with the nose section screwed on with a clockwise movement), if it was fired and propelled down the barrel with a counterclockwise spin, then there would be a risk of the nose section loosening when the drive bands of the projectile engaged with the rifling of the barrel.

Last edited:
Most artillery is rifled right twist for the reasons you stated. OTOH, many base fuzes have a left hand thread for the same reason. That's one reason many collectors have a difficult time removing a base fuze.

Likewise, you will find many parts of nose fuzes, such as a VT with a long bottom section, will be attached with a left hand thread.

Ray

Finally got around to opening this particular projectile by hand at the weekend. Incidentally, Darren, the info you gave me back in August proved to be incorrect in this case. The nose unscrewed from the shell using a clockwise turn as you look down on the brass tip of the nose, not anti clockwise. I was surprised at how easy it was to twist off the nose once the initial seal was broken, and it was actually a loose fit as I unscrewed it. It was completely empty inside, no live parts, the only thing visible was the spike of the firing pin in its brass holder. I polished up the projectile revealing various numerals and the telltale signs of previous attempts to crudely open this in the past. Got to remove the brass cross piece of trench art as well. I have put up some images of the shell after i opened it up.

Just a few more queries on this.

Does the brass firing pin unscrew out of the casing, and if so, in what direction.
Anyone know the meaning of the numerals stamped on the projectile.
The cartridge casing is French (PDPs). Any way of telling what origin the projectile is
Knowing the cartridge has been fired, how would the guy who trench arted this piece have access to an unfired projectile.

DSCF3111.jpgDSCF3105.jpgDSCF3169.jpgDSCF3155.jpgDSCF3132.jpg

Last edited:
The projectile is the French Model 1916 H.E. for the 37mm gun. The upper number is the projectile number in the lot, this is repeated on the nose section. The left lower number is the Lot number which is the contract number and 17 is for 1917 the year of the lot/contract though in lots late in the year the actual manufacture could be in the next year. The firing pin might unscrew, but if it is tight don't bother you will only bugger it up and there is no point* to undoing it anyways. (sorry bad pun)