What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Blockhaus at Eperlecques

SG500

Premium Member
This was an unexpected surprise on the last day of our European camping trip in August. We were camped half a mile from the Blockhaus of Eperlecques and didn't realise until we picked up a leaflet in the local shop!

A few years ago a friend of mine went to Auschwitz. He said when he was there he felt that something terrible had happened there. For me it was similar at the Blockhaus. You go through the entrance and up a small hill passing artefacts including a train used to bring prisoners there, artillery pieces and some exploded bombs and then there it is in front of you, this absolutely huge concrete structure. When we stood there and looked at it you could sense the suffering that went on when it was built and the unimaginable violence as huge amount bombs were dropped in an effort to damage it.

The link below gives a really good write up about it, I’ve attached some photos. The V1 there is a good replica, the launch ramp is real. The V2 in the building is a replica but looks very good and certainly adds to the atmosphere. The pond is where a tallboy bomb landed close to the Blockhaus
http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/watten.html When you consider the amount of bombs that were dropped on the site (see figures on the link) its amazing that anything survived at all but when you go round the main part of the building its clear that its going to be still standing for many years to come!

Another place that is WELL RECOMMENDED and its only about 20 miles from the Channel Tunnel so is easy to get to from the UK. If you get the chance to go there then go for it.

Dave.

IMG_3386.jpgIMG_3382.jpgIMG_3383.jpgIMG_3385.jpgIMG_3387.jpgIMG_3391.jpgIMG_3396.jpgIMG_3397.jpgIMG_3398.jpgIMG_3399.jpgIMG_3381.jpgIMG_3376.jpgIMG_3307.jpgIMG_3311.jpgIMG_3324.jpgIMG_3333.jpgIMG_3336.jpgIMG_3342.jpgIMG_3360.jpgIMG_3365.jpgIMG_3367.jpgIMG_3403.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos Dave! I went there many many years ago, looks like they've added a few new pieces. It definitely is a worthwhile visit. I also recommend la Coupole which is another V2 installation just down the road from the blockhaus

Great Pics thank you it certainly looks imposing,think it was early 2009 that they removed the body of a disney bomb embedded in the roof

Great photos Dave! I went there many many years ago, looks like they've added a few new pieces. It definitely is a worthwhile visit. I also recommend la Coupole which is another V2 installation just down the road from the blockhaus

Thanks, yea we went there too, I'll post some photos of that tomorrow.

Dave.

Great Pics thank you it certainly looks imposing,think it was early 2009 that they removed the body of a disney bomb embedded in the roof
Thanks Spotter, is that the thing shown on the second line first photo above? I wasn't sure what type it was and there wasn't a sign about it.
Dave.

A few years ago a friend of mine went to Auschwitz. He said when he was there he felt that something terrible had happened there. For me it was similar at the Blockhaus. You go through the entrance and up a small hill passing artefacts including a train used to bring prisoners there, artillery pieces and some exploded bombs and then there it is in front of you, this absolutely huge concrete structure. When we stood there and looked at it you could sense the suffering that went on when it was built and the unimaginable violence as huge amount bombs were dropped in an effort to damage it.

Dave, know what you mean. Had a similar experience when I visited the Nordhausen site three years ago.

Regards, Jan
http://www.westernfront.nl