What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 cal cartons

reccetrooper

Premium Member
Here are some .50 cal cartons for your interest.
(All rounds shown are inert. The observing, I and AP rounds have inert projectiles with core/contents removed)

IMG_2869.jpgIMG_2868.jpgIMG_2870.jpgIMG_2871.jpgIMG_2872.jpgIMG_2874.jpg

Nice collection, still packed in 10 round cartons. i have a ten round .50cal carton, the yellow and green incendiary tracer one but different maker, i will dig it out as i will be selling it soon.

Nice collection, still packed in 10 round cartons. i have a ten round .50cal carton, the yellow and green incendiary tracer one but different maker, i will dig it out as i will be selling it soon.

The drill and dummy are full, the others unfortunately not. Send me a pm when you are ready to sell your carton, I would be interested. (Incidentally my yellow/green carton held AP)

Last edited:
Here is my collection of cardboard boxes, some .30 cal some unusual names.IMG_2271.JPGIMG_2275.JPGIMG_2273.JPGIMG_2274.JPG

Here are a few of mine. The earliest British .50 label I have is this Kynoch April 1930 one which has the "AW-C" headstamp for Armstrong Whitworth Colt who had the Uk Browning license at that time.

Others are just a few of interest, I have a lot more.

On a different note, I see your comment about the incendiary and AP rounds etc., having cores removed. Apart from being interested in how you remove a boat-tailed core from a boat tailed bullet without slicing the back of the envelope off and ruining the round, I wonder if it is all worth it? Why not join one of the accepted organisations (ECRA and IAA) and get a Firearms Certificate and then Section 5 authority and collect the proper thing? just my thoughts.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• AP.jpg
    AP.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 17
  • AWC 1930.jpg
    AWC 1930.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Ball IIZ.jpg
    Ball IIZ.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Rem AP1.jpg
    Rem AP1.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Rem AP2.jpg
    Rem AP2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Rem Tracer.jpg
    Rem Tracer.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Drill I.jpg
    Drill I.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Tracer G Mark Vz.jpg
    Tracer G Mark Vz.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Inspec I.jpg
    Inspec I.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 17
Nice collection of realy rare cartons, i did start collecting the wooden boxes they came in but didn't have the space to keep them.

Nice collection of realy rare cartons, i did start collecting the wooden boxes they came in but didn't have the space to keep them.

Thanks, I will post some more later. The reasons I stay with just the labels is exactly that, space!

As you can see, I only collect British military packets and labels, including those for British contract ammunition like the Remington ones.

Regards
TonyE

....and some more.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Inc tracer 2.jpg
    Inc tracer 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Inc tracer.jpg
    Inc tracer.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 10
  • L12A1 Proof.jpg
    L12A1 Proof.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 10
  • Spotter tracer.jpg
    Spotter tracer.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Inc tracer inert.jpg
    Inc tracer inert.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Ball Proof.jpg
    Ball Proof.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Incendiary 2z.jpg
    Incendiary 2z.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 9
  • HP Standard.jpg
    HP Standard.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 10
Thanks Tony for posting the labels, interesting items.
As to the inerted rounds, the rear of the envelopes have been cut off and the core contents removed. I don't know how the guy gets the cores out but they are now just empty envelopes.
I've been an IAA member for some years. I'll probably go for an FAC with S.5 authority in the future so I can expand what I'm collecting, but for the moment I'm happy with just inert rounds that can be displayed without restriction.

These are ballistic standard cartridges used for comparison tests against production lots. It is better to fill them with an inert substitute for the tracer/incendiary composition as there is no need for the bullets to function as it is pressure, velocity and accuracy tha is being tested.

The inert filled L11A2 rounds have a mustard coloured tip instead of the normal red and yellow.

Regards
TonyE

Tony.

With respect to Ball, Proof carton, what service was this originally intended (prior to being filled with proof rounds) RAF?

Tim

I think it must have been for air use, as the label is one for Inspector of Armamaments (Air).

1961 is a bit late for anything armed with a .50 calibre weapon, but perhaps for helicopters? Shackletons when fitted with a nose turret carried Hispanos.

Cheers
Tony