What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today was a good day, limpet WW2

Hi Ben

Where do you go shopping? Super item - Is it a Mk1, 1A, or Mk2

Very nice anyway!

Cheers

Switch

Hi Ben

Where do you go shopping? Super item - Is it a Mk1, 1A, or Mk2
Switch

it is a Mark II. Seam in side of body is necessary for the Mark II because it is a two part body. The lower part has a fabricated fuze well for the ADWA fuze.

Norman, you are right i had a look this morning, now i have both types, happy happy Ben , the Limpet is already in the museum on display. Ben

Norman, you are right i had a look this morning, now i have both types, happy happy Ben , the Limpet is already in the museum on display. Ben

For those interested in the difference between a Mark I and Mark II here is a photograph of the Mark I. There was also a Mark 3 designed and a number of models devised which resulted in the Mark I. Early Mark Is were issued with ten magnets rather than six. Numerous other 'SOE' limpets (e.g., Flexible, Mobile, Josephine etc.) were manufactured and, of course, MD1 produced their models.

Rigid Limpet Op Frankton.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Bonnex - I should have gone and had a look! Please could you let us know what the brass ring pull delay is in the photo of the Mk 1 that you have just posted. I have not seen that one before, and I presume that it is "uncommon"

Cheers

Switch

Thanks for that info Bonnex - I should have gone and had a look! Please could you let us know what the brass ring pull delay is in the photo of the Mk 1 that you have just posted. I have not seen that one before, and I presume that it is "uncommon"
Switch

Dear Switch,

It is an early form of sympathetic fuze developed jointly by the Admiralty and SOE. It functioned when subject to the 'pressure wave' of a nearby explosion, the idea being to initiate all limpet charges at the same time rather than risk those fitted with a later delay timing being dislodged from the target. The fuze was not particularly successful but was brought into service in time to be used on Operation Frankton (Cockleshell Heroes). Further work on sympathetic fuzes at Stations IX and XII produced a diaphragm fuze which was sent to the USA for further development and production; this resulted in the HEP6 etc., models and 'Concussion Fuze'. US made diaphragm fuzes with British standard limpet screw threads were available in small numbers to SOE late in the war.

The Admiralty/SOE pattern of sympathetic fuze is uncommon almost to the point of nonexistent. I know of only two.