What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bomb Fuze Extractor

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I got this today [thanks , Paul !] . What a wonderful piece of kit , they don't make 'em like this today . I think it's for removing Japanese bomb fuzes ?

Attachments

• mvc-433s.jpg
    mvc-433s.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 159
  • mvc-434s.jpg
    mvc-434s.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 153
  • mvc-435s.jpg
    mvc-435s.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 159
that is one of the first mechanical, impact wrenches, and may also be the jaws for a first generation rocket wrench. Both were tools EOD used to remotely remove bomb fuzes. The impact wrench was basically a remote hammer wrench, it had springs and a long rope. Part of the rope was wrapped around a section of the wrnech. The operator would go to the end of the rope (hopfuly outside the frag range of the bomb and start the pull and release hammer action, when he felt the fuze start to break loose the EOD operator would take the end of the rope and run with it pulling the rope that was wrpeed around the wrench unscrewingthe fuze. Believe me this is mucher easier said the done. If the rocket part is attached, there are 2 propulsion systems 180 degree apart. Today we use special blank electrical fired .50 carts. When they are fired the carts will put great force on the fuze and unspin it from the bomb body.

This is all good and well but the EOD guy still had to remove the fuze from the wrench.

There is a YouTube vid of the rocket wrench functioning.

Your set is in pretty good condition and there are some aprts in there that were used for other fuze RSP functions

Note:
The mechanical impact wrench was invented by Cdr. Robert W. Eigell, USN (D) it was adopted by the British and initally termed the Igol wrench. A possible misspell of Ike's name.
Before the .50 electric cartridges were used the first generation used stripped rocket grains , 3 grains to each tube. The second generation requjired one to extract the ball from a .50 cal cartridge and stuff tissue paper in the ends of the two cartridtges and they were initiated by prima cord.
The U.s. screwed up when they adopted the Navy 3 jaw wrench in leiu of the original 2 jaw wrench which was superior.
Regards,
John

Pictures!!!!

Attachments

• LZZ No.37 mit Raketenklemme.jpg
    LZZ No.37 mit Raketenklemme.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 99
  • LZZ No.37..jpg
    LZZ No.37..jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 97
Here are details for this impact wrench from TM-E9-1984 DISPOSAL METHODS FOR ENEMY BOMBS & FUZES - NOV 1942.

Hope that it is of interest.

The wrench was a really great score.

I have a WWII USN Bomb Disposal Pin Hole Wrench in the pipeline and will post photos when it arrives.

Attachments

• BD 043.jpg
    BD 043.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 42
  • BD 044.jpg
    BD 044.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 34
  • BD 045.jpg
    BD 045.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 51
  • BD 046.jpg
    BD 046.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 55
If you want to see the first rocket wrench, develped during WW II see the moive "10 Second rom Hell", black and white (made in 1957/59 time frame, about ex german soldiers who are hired by the British to dispose of unexploded bombs in Germany. Of course besides the bomb stuff, it is a typical EOD moive lots of drinking, girls, chest beating over who is best. The group pools their money and who ever is alive after the missions are done get the pot.

I have about 5 copies of this movies

hi, they don't make em like that any more? we did until 2 yrs ago, then chemring made us all at Richmond E&EI Ltd redundant!
i'll dig out the drawing's and parts lists if you want, they may have accidentaly left with me........oops

the only real design change we made was to the fairleads, replacing the old fabricated one's with roller bearinged yachting versions.
the taper jaws, roller jaws and spinnings for the hubs we're all as original as far as i remember

I got this today [thanks , Paul !] . What a wonderful piece of kit , they don't make 'em like this today . I think it's for removing Japanese bomb fuzes ?

Hum hum, we use always the successor of this fuze extractor, the fuze extractor No 8 !

This model is not only for japanese fuzes, you have the accessories for removing of british pocket fuzes and german fuzes.

If I don't forget it, I shall post pictures thursday !

Yoda