What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6-Pdr 10Cwt ammunition

ydnum303

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me whether any projectiles other than the HE shell were used in this WW2 Coastal/Naval gun please, and if so, what they were?

Information on the gun is not too difficult to find, but I have found very little about the ammunition!

Many Thanks,
Roger.

Roger,

According to the handbook (Handbook for the Ordnance Q.F. 6-Pr, 10-CWT, Mark I on Mounting 6-Pr Mark I, Land Service, 1939
) the only Service projectile was HE. Practice projectiles were:

Projectile, Practice, Mark IT
Projectile, Practice, Break-up, QF, Mark IIIT
Shot, Paper, QF, Mark I

A QF 2 pounder sub-calibre was available.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Norman, any further information regarding the 2 practice projectiles? Was the Mk.1T the same as/similar to the flat-top practice projectile for the 6-Pdr 7Cwt A/T gun?

Roger.

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Norman, any further information regarding the 2 practice projectiles? Was the Mk.1T the same as/similar to the flat-top practice projectile for the 6-Pdr 7Cwt A/T gun?

Roger.

The marking diagram from the handbook shows:

Cart QF 6Pr 10cwt Markings.jpg

Roger,

My guess is that it is much like the HE body but filled salt or sand with a PRF.

PROJECTILE, PRACTICE. Q.F. 6-PR. 10-CWT.
The Mark IT projectile is of cast steel formed with a cavity tapered towards the base, the latter being solid and prepared to take the Mark V, No. 1 shell tracer. A metal bush, which accommodates a G.S. fuze-hole plug, is screwed into the head. The copper driving band, to design R.L.12474/1, is fitted into an undercut groove near the base whilst below this, an indenting grove is formed for the attachment of the case. The projectile is weighted with salt or sand to a total weight of approximately 6 lb. 4 oz. 8 dr.

Thank you both, Q and kahu1, very helpfull. All I have to do now is to find these various projectiles!

Roger.

Thank you, Dave, a very nice round!

All the headstamps I have seen have had the "Reduced Charge" mark. Has anyone got/seen one marked "CF"?

Regards,

Roger.

Thank you, Dave, a very nice round!

All the headstamps I have seen have had the "Reduced Charge" mark. Has anyone got/seen one marked "CF"?

Regards,

Roger.

Thanks. Refresh my memory.........what is the "reduced charge" mark? I know what it means but can't remember what the mark is.

Dave.

Attached are a few photos of the other case I have, unfortunately some............person went and cut it in half! Why does it always happen to the rare ones!

If anyone is interested in it let me know, it'll be cheap.

Dave.

IMG_3489.jpgIMG_3490.jpgIMG_3491.jpg

Dave,

The "Reduced Charge" mark is "CR", and the "Full Charge" mark is "CF". Your shortened case seems to have been initially loaded with a full charge, which was subsequently withdrawn, and a reduced charge substituted. This was then fired, and the case was reloaded with another reduced charge.

Roger.