What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian Smoke grenade and Unknown Counterpart

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
All,

Below are a photo and an x-ray of a Canadian C11 HC Smoke grenade and an unknown grenade of similar design. Anyone know what the unknown is and the filler?

Attachments

• C11 HC and unknown.jpg
    C11 HC and unknown.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 103
  • C11_HC_comparison2.jpg
    C11_HC_comparison2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 108
It may be a C8 coloured smoke grenade, but it should have a cap in the colour of smoke produced. It would normally be painted about the same as the C11 with a similar label.

Attachments

• c8grn.jpg
    c8grn.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 38
  • c8purp.jpg
    c8purp.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 38
  • c8red.jpg
    c8red.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 38
  • c8grnsection.jpg
    c8grnsection.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 64
From what we could tell, the cap has not been removed/replaced. Looking at the x-ray you can see that the filler is definitely different with it having a density change that suggests that it is 2 components. Also, if you enlarge it you will notice that the igniter is different.

The C8 has a cavity in the centre of the filling which shows in the x ray, making it look like a density change. See the cutaway version I posted. The C11 did not have the cavity. The unidentified one also has the deflectors on top of the filling as does the C8 but are omitted on the C11.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what manufacturer made the C11 and C8 grenades? I have both manufacturer codes as U.S. but we don't have any smokes that look like that.

Joe

Found the HFI ... now on to the CFI

Joe

Attachments

• C8_ Data_Sheet.pdf
    51.7 KB · Views: 50
Does anyone have a data sheet on the C11 HC Grenade?
Also ... I am still looking for the CFI manufacturer code.

Joe

The smoke grenade without any colour code or markings and a white cap is a little confusing, however as previously stated the C8 Series of smoke grenade has the void in the center of the smoke composition. The C11 does not have this but there is a small v shaped void just below the igniter which is not visible in the x-ray.

APL Astra Pyrotechnics Ltd, Ontario restarted as Canadian Fireworks Inc and used the CFI monogram. They produced the C8 coloured smoke grenades and the C11 HC smoke grenades.

I don't recall ever seeing a C8 with the CFI monogram on it but I have seen many C11s with the CFI monogram. The C11 is no longer in service in Canada and the C8s in service now all have the HFI monogram.