What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 2Pr Head Stamp Query

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I got this item today as one of a pair of trench arted 2Pr cases . Although quite faint , this one has a stamp that refers to 9 & 9.5" guns . Could anyone explain this to me ? Thank you.

Attachments

• mvc-488s.jpg
    mvc-488s.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 66
Hi Siegfreid,

I think the headstamp reads "2PR I-III & VI GUNS & 9.5IN D.C.T", this latter part refering to the 9.5" Depth Charge Thrower, for which this case, when loaded as a blank, was used as the propelling charge. What I don't know is what the propelling charge was:- Cordite, or Black Powder? And how much of it? I am sure that there is some knowledgeable person out there who can tell us!

As an aside, I wonder why this case could not be used in the Mk.IV gun. I know the Mk.V took a longer case (wish I could find one!), but did the Mk.IV take a different case also? Has anyone seen/got a 2-Pdr case marked for the Mk.IV gun?

Your case shown is interesting in that the cordite charge seems to have been withdrawn (as the CF has been cancelled). I wonder why.

Regards,
Roger.

Way outside my area Roger, but the case seems to have been reloaded much later as the primer is dated 1936 for both manufacture and filling.

If as you postulate the DCT was black powder loaded it would explain why the Cordite Full Charge stamp has been cancelled.

Regards
TonyE

This case also has an electric primer in place.

This may be for depth charge use if it is the original primer.

Yes, I noticed that an electric primer had been fitted, but forgot to state that in my reply. If the case had been loaded with black powder, it should have the letter "P" with a punch mark after it stamped on the case. (Out of about 20 2-pdr cases I have, only one is stamped with a P rather than the usual CF!)

Some of my cases also have primers dated much later than the date on the case itself, but they are usually the ones that have been shortened to be used in the sub-calibre HA guns.

Siegfeid, what is the length of your case, please? From your photo, it looks as if the mouth has been belled out, so any legth you quote should be the "pre-belling" one.

Regards,
Roger.

Roger. I can't possibly give a pre belling measurement as I probably wasn't born when it was done ! It looks to me as if it was just a standard WW1 2Pr case before it was converted into a somewhat elegant spill vase . Thank you all for your comments about the head stamp . I never realised it was such a complicated area of expertise .

Attachments

• mvc-500s.jpg
    mvc-500s.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 19