What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese M46 stick grenade

mogway

hello,
I am looking for documentation (sectional drawing) on the M46 stick grenade. It is made ​​in China but it is intended for the Afghan army as the name M46.

M46.jpg

Thank you very much for this cutaway.

Would you have any informations about the origin based on the markings?

M46
0652-706

The M46 may be showing up in Afghanistan, but the grenade has been around for a lot longer than the current Afghan conflict and was in service in China originally. Like many other pieces of ordnance, China provides their older stocks of ordnance to countries like Afghanistan who are happy to have it and not trained to handle much in the way of more modern sophisticated items. The markings are different in format from the normal grenade markings seen today and I do not have a breakdown of them. The "652" matches a Chinese plant that made grenades and they often will insert a "0" in front of their numbers. The M46 is the model number and although China now uses "Type" numbers, some earlier ordnance they produced had "M" numbers. My example never had any markings on it, examples of which are often found. The filler is about 49g of cast TNT. The pull friction fuze has a delay of about 4-5 seconds. There are about 160 large heavy fragmentsembedded in a tar like matrix in the body.

Bob

Thank you,
There are 358 fragments in my M46 stick grenade.
The second number is 709 not 706 but what do you means.

I assume your fragments are smaller than those in mine. The number of fragments I quoted came from an original Chinese document on the grenade. Not sure if I understand your question. I think the 0652 may be the factory code for the plant that made the grenade. Not sure what the rest of the numbers are. Bob

Interesting variation with the plastic cap and the crimps on the handle. First one I have seen with both. Must be a later version. None of the early Chinese literature I have seen shows those. onder what the crimps are for?
Bob

Interesting variation with the plastic cap and the crimps on the handle. First one I have seen with both. Must be a later version. None of the early Chinese literature I have seen shows those. onder what the crimps are for?
Bob

Afraid I have no clue. On a barely related note, any idea where I can get an end cap for a steel-bodied, plastic handled Chinese stick grenade?

DSC_0070.jpg

Hi,

Grenade weight : 513g
Height : 146mm
Diameter of the body : 51mm
Diameter of the handle 33mm