What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Made in China

ozziammo

A Diplomat friend of mine went to China on a recent trade mission, as part of the trip he had to visit some schools in outlying provinces. As part of the visit it is customary to give the visitor a gift. At one of the schools he visited he was gifted this pen/pencil holder.
What a way of making use of military refuse, I am amazed that it wasn't collected for scrap metal!
For those who cannot recognize what it is: it is a bunch of 23 x 113 AC carts & links arranged so that it can be stood up & used as pen & pencil holders. They have turned 3 x links upside down to use as legs.
I havn't stripped the paint back yet to get a good look at the headstamps!
Regards Ozzi.Holder3.jpgHolder2.jpgHolder.jpg

Very neat use of cases and links,modern form of trench art,thanks for showing,
Cheers,
Don,

Extremely nice Chinese AM-23 links !!

Should the cases and links be sometimes stripped from the paint, I would be most interested to hear from any markings on the links.

Cheers,

JFL

Can your mate get anymore? I'm sure there aren't any restrictions on importing pencil holders into Australia...:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Hi Ozzi,

Diplomatic priviledges? I couldn't import such an item into Australia and get it past Customs. Prohibited imports includes any ordnance or warfare item, including trenchart. Apparently, (their words), such items could be returned to a dangerous state! (Even WW1 18 pdr cases cut down and made into coal scuttles! Idiots.)

Let me know if your friend is going to France or Belgium LOL!

Cheers,

Graeme

Graham,

You can still bring cart. cases & links into Australia with the appropriate permits as long as they are FFE! If you want more info, PM me.

Regards Ozzi.

Can your mate get anymore? I'm sure there aren't any restrictions on importing pencil holders into Australia...:tinysmile_hmm_t:

You can find similar items at most of the military type museums. Models of aircraft, tanks, etc, all made from cartridge cases and links. Some of the museums also will sell larger caliber projectiles, but the cost is very high. Largest I've seen for sale in the museums was 130mm.

Ozzi,

I tried to reply to your PM but your message inbox is full.
Can you please delete some old messages?

Thanks,

Graeme