What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with 2pdr shell.

Bullet Mick

Had this in my collection for some time but never paid much attention to it. I was wondering if anybody has any info on these types of shell. Ive never seen a projectile for one and wondered what they look like. It is marked on the bottom 2Pr II.VIII & SUB-CAL I.II.LA. It appears to have been cut down at some point. Cheers Mick.

PICT2162.jpgPICT2163.jpg

Hi Mick,

What is the length?

"Normal" 2-pdr cases are 158mm long, but some were officially cut down to 107mm, and used in sub-calibre High Angle guns. Yours looks to have crimping marks at the neck, so if it is 107mm long, that it is what it was likely used for, despite the h/s saying "LA" instead of "HA".

Roger.

Thanks for that Roger ive just measured the length and it is 101mm but like you say it does appear to have crimping marks on the neck. Cheers Mick

Mick,

A couple of pics of one in my collection, it came as is with fuse. Note the half knurled rim. Dunno why they would have fused a prac/sub cal rnd. Guess they wanted to see if they hit the target.

Both fuse & projectile are FFE.

Regards Ozzi.

Attachments

• 40 x 107 HS.jpg
    40 x 107 HS.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 40 x 107.jpg
    40 x 107.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 42
Nice round Ozzi looks good with the fuze. Never seen one with the knurled rim what purpose does it serve cheers Mick.

Often knurled rims were used to indicate dummy rounds.
But... on a general note: knurls, grooves, and other markings that can be felt to the touch, were used so the rounds could easily be distinguished in low-light conditions.
Some nice examples of this are the British 105x609R TK rounds, which have several distinct markings like that on the head of the cases.

Cheers,
Olafo