What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

57mm Colour?

5th Armored

Could somebody please confirm for me if the US 57mm APCBC projectile is meant to be black with white stamping or is it OD with yellow?
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,
Black with white stenciling, as far as i am aware.
Best Weasel.

The projectile was issued crimped in a case as either explosive loaded with fuze/tracer painted OD with yellow markings, or with the explosive cavity empty with a tracer plug screwed into it painted black with white lettering. So the answer is either way according to how it was loaded.

Cheers guys-mine was already repainted OD when I got it so I think I'll throw some yellow stencils on and call it TNT filled.

The U.S. doesn't use TNT for the explosive fill of penetrative AP projectiles. The impact shock can detonate TNT on the surface of the armor. The proper explosive would be Explosive D. It is ammonia based, yellow powder and smells very ammonia like. It is very aromatic. It can withstand the shock, but it takes a big tetryl booster to detonate it.

Would the type of filler be stamped on the projo? I found one pic of a side-by-side comparison of the filled/unfilled shell but it looks like they both have 57 G APC M86 with tracer- the only difference being that one is b/w and the other is OD and yellow.
The U.S. doesn't use TNT for the explosive fill of penetrative AP projectiles. The impact shock can detonate TNT on the surface of the armor. The proper explosive would be Explosive D. It is ammonia based, yellow powder and smells very ammonia like. It is very aromatic. It can withstand the shock, but it takes a big tetryl booster to detonate it.

The drawing in the 1950 book shows one line of lettering, wrapping around the body. The part that is shown says:

PROJ APC-T M86

By comparing to other projectiles, it looks like they didn't write EXP. D on the projectiles till they got to the 90mm size. The 75mm and 76mm projectiles do not have the filler on them either.

Cheers HAZORD - what's the title of that book?
The drawing in the 1950 book shows one line of lettering, wrapping around the body. The part that is shown says:

PROJ APC-T M86

By comparing to other projectiles, it looks like they didn't write EXP. D on the projectiles till they got to the 90mm size. The 75mm and 76mm projectiles do not have the filler on them either.

Let me see if ihave the load fill and marking drawing for a 57mm APC. Will post if i have them

The book is TM 9-1901 Artillery Ammunition dated September 1950

The photo is from the 1945 version of the same manual. It shows multiple lines of text.

Attachments

• M86 Loadings Paint from 1945.jpg
    M86 Loadings Paint from 1945.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited: