What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buck igniters

BMG50

Premium Member
There seems to be a variety of styles to the Buck igniter when comparing originals to the ones seen in the TM manuals. The originals seen in photos on other web sites seemed to a bit worse for wear, knowing that originals are very delicate, most look distorted and its difficult to see if the manual drawings give a true impression. The drawings show Sharp crisp edges where as originals in photos show rounded edges, not sure if this how originals were or just part of it being distorted over time. What i am trying to do is make a copy of a Buck igniter, as originals are very much on the fragile side and because they are very rare. Does anyone have a perfect example of a buck igniter and could tell me if the drawings are accurate to the originals. I have made a copy from the manuals but its difficult to determine if it would match up to an original. Try and get a pic.

Hi chris dont know if its any use to you but according to the Illustrated record of German army Equipment 1939 to 1945 Vol 5 the buck igniter is given as 1.5 high by 0.8 inches wide plus thread
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve i have the sizes from another source and they say that the fuze is 13/16 or 20.6mm and 1"5/8 long about 41mm, the middle seems to vary between manuals and originals.

BMG50 i have a buck chemical igniter minus the aluminium crush cover ,that you can loan to copy the main part of the body from if you want..

Attachments

• buckDSC00025.jpg
    buckDSC00025.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 81
BMG50 i have a buck chemical igniter minus the aluminium crush cover ,that you can loan to copy the main part of the body from if you want..

That's kind of you spotter, if you have a vernier to hand that would even be better if you could take a few measurements.

Here is some pics of a replica i copied from the manuals, one showing the rubber washer one without.

Attachments

• radio 120.jpg
    radio 120.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 51
  • radio 121.jpg
    radio 121.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 54
That's kind of you spotter, if you have a vernier to hand that would even be better if you could take a few measurements.

I dont have a vernier ,but like i said you can loan this one no problem so you can measure it all properly,drop me a pm with your address and ill post it down to you
note ,i think the original washer on mine is leather

After finishing a few projects, i am now back sorting out my Buck igniter project. With the fantastic help and generosity of Spotter i just need to finalise a few things and make some tooling. The manuals show differences to originals seen in photo's and of peoples collections.
As most on this forum would know that there are two types of Buck igniter of the same style, A and B. A, being longer with an overall length of around 41mm which includes the threaded section and B being shorter with one groove on the body where as A, has three. Is my calculation for Buck igniter A, at 41mm overall length correct and what is the overall length of Buck igniter B, i asume it being 10mm shorter.
To add, the groove or crimping groove where the thin aluminum body (i asume is thin like old toothpaste tube) crimps into, seems to be sealed and filled with a black sealing compound (for waterproofing may be similar to glass mine sealant) and painted, am i correct in this, as the manuals show without.