What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it Japanese??

Looks like a high explosive projectile for a 20mm Type 98 AA gun (20x142).
But Olafo or another expert can tell you everything, i'm sure

Hi,

It is.
The fuze is a Japanese Type 93 impact fuze.
The projectile is a Japanese Type 100 'trial production' HE-T one. The sharp bourrelet and base match, and they set it aside from the somewhat more common normal HE-T ones.
This projectile is for the 20x142 calibre. The combination of fuze and projectile body is also correct.

I have attached some pictures of the HE-T specimens in my collection. The ones with sharp bourrelet and dark-gray colour are what you have (I have two complete rounds of that kind). The ones with black colour are the regular HE-T ones (I have one complete round and two spare projectiles of that kind). Note that my specimens have original paint on them. Should you buy the projectile and want to restore it, I can send bigger pictures of my specimens so you have a good reference as to what it should look like.

BTW: Despite the classification 'trial production', these rounds are relatively common. I come across them about equally often as the regular HE-T kinds.

Cheers,
Olafo

20x142_HE-T_trial_production_rounds_(P1011061).jpg20x142_HE-T_trial_production_rounds_with_tube_(P1011063).jpg20x142_HE-T_rounds_(P1011060).jpg20x142_HE_(P1011062).jpg

Last edited:
These pictures are from the gunbroker website and have been added so other members can see what was been discussed

Attachments

• gunbroker 1.jpg
    gunbroker 1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 12
  • gunbroker.jpg
    gunbroker.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 24
Thanks for the nice words; bummer that you got outbid. I see it went for only $32. That's a pretty low price, certainly these days....
Alright, I hope you have better luck next time, and at least you now know what it is. :p

Cheers,
Olafo