What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1918 Mortar Charge Bags

BOUGAINVILLE

I have come across these two British WWI charge bags made in June 1918. I presume that these would be for a Sokes 3" mortar round.

Attachments

• IMGP4340.jpg
    IMGP4340.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP4341.jpg
    IMGP4341.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMGP4347.jpg
    IMGP4347.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMGP4348.jpg
    IMGP4348.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 47
Stokes ones looked like little wrap round sausages but made out of linen & were generally marked "Stokes" . I think they may be for something else . Not sure what but would be pleased to find out !

Hi These are a couple of stokes augmenting charges, and a couple i made.
Andy

Attachments

• P1040752.jpg
    P1040752.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 35
  • P1040751.jpg
    P1040751.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 27
Many thanks SPOTTER for the ID on the charge bag for the 6" Trench Mortar.

Can anyone out there ID the other charge bag?

Cheers,
BOUGAINVILLE

ive found this plate in a stokes mortar document,,the charge bag on the right is very similar to yours although it is shown full,plus its 110 grain Flake as written on yours

Attachments

• stokes charge 110 grain flake.jpg
    stokes charge 110 grain flake.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 37
Hi Bougainville,
I have known for quite some time that the Stokes 3 inch mortar used ring increment charges, as well as the shotgun cartridge-like primary/ initiating charge, but this is the first photos of them that I have seen. This was really great information!

Regards,
Draoich

I have known for quite some time that the Stokes 3 inch mortar used ring increment charges, this is the first photos of them that I have seen. This was really great information!

Regards,
Draoich

Ayup Bougainville, I'll second what 'Draoich' has said. I've known for several years that the 3inch Stokes used base augementing charges, three in fact (for differing ranges). But I have never been able to find either any photographs of existing examples. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

Seph