What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90MM casing / primer question

RegPitt

I have a 90mm M19 dated 1944 and a 1952 dated primer...I'm sure this casing didn't just lie around for 8 yrs. before being primed so, am I wrong in assuming these
big guys were reused/reloaded between WWII and Korea?

Possible if they had been through an ammunition refurbishment.
One of the main tasks was to replace the primer,other tasks to replace the powder charge and guage the case and refinish the stencilling.

Actually it isn't impossible for a case to have been in storage in the back room of a warehouse after it was made in 44 and never loaded. The U.S. is known for holding amounts of strategic materials back, for emergency use in case the mainland is attacked. They also have had underground storage areas where ammunition manufacturing machinery has already been set up and tooled to manufacture projectiles and cases in the event that the regular factorys were destroyed. If the equipment was needed, it could be taken out of the deep underground storage, moved into a factory, and be up and running in a day or two.