What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID needed on this please

hicky1300

Gents found this & thought it was a 2 pounder QF TP projectile but it is too long!!
Measures 40mm dia & 163mm tall (approx). Weighs 1lb.12oz but as the drive band is missing could put it up to 2 pounder?
As you can see dummy Fuze unscrews (rh thread) & it is hollow for HE charge.
Unable to make out any markings due o the pitting but it has not been fired in my opinion due to the lack of marks on the dummy fuze. So I think the band has been salvaged off it.IMG_0265[1].jpgIMG_0264[1].jpg
Is it a TP projectile for the 2 pounder anti-tank round?

Hi I can't answer your question but here's all the info I have on the 2 pounder HE projectiles for the tank/anti tank gun.

Dave.

IMG_3607 - Copy.jpgIMG_3616 - Copy.jpgIMG_3615 - Copy.jpgIMG_3614 - Copy.jpgIMG_3612 - Copy.jpgIMG_3611 - Copy.jpgIMG_3610 - Copy.jpgIMG_3609 - Copy.jpgIMG_3608 - Copy.jpgIMG_3617.jpg

try looking at 40mm S gun information, they had aluminium nose plugs whereas 2pr AA had steel.

Thanks for that Gents
I have not been able to find any pictures of the TP? projectile but did find some of the AP projectile & this appears longer than the 2 pounder QF projectile, so on that basis I am inclined the hope this is an S Gun projectile (excellent as I didn`t have one).
As far as I can gather it was used in the standard 40 x 158R case.
I have a couple of spare 40 x 158 cases but would the headstamp have been different?
I assume no `N` as it was not for Naval use?

IMG_0268[1].jpg

Hopefully the above pic might get some clarification as I am a bit confused.com!!!!
2 pounder kindly sent me a PM but I cannot work out how to do the URL thing in my reply to him.
L-R.
2 pounder APT.
MKIII HE dated 1916
2 pounder HET? but it for the QF as this has an aluminium dummy fuze? Fuze is stamped `PLUG IN (inert?) N0 243 D & B 194`5 with acceptance crows foot. So I think it is a TP?
2 Pounder HV VI/N 1944
My rogue projectile!! As you can see it is notably taller than the other projectiles. It has an aluminium dummy Fuze but no markings and is hollow.
Last a steel 2 pounder case with a VI/N 1944 HV proj.
As I see it my unknown is either for the S gun or could it be a HETP for the 2 pounder anti-tank? I have had a close look at the dummy Fuze & do not think it is a `homer`.
I understand these were made but were not apparently that widely used or successful as the 2pdr A/T was superceeded by the 6Pdr etc?
If I could find some drawings with projectile dimensions for the different types of projectiles for the QF, S & A/T then that might clarify things?

Silly me! Should have looked at the info SG500 sent more closely, The 3rd from left is for QF with the dummy No243 fuze - I just didn`t think they were Aluminium?

I'm a bit confussed myself, what gun are you referring to with 'QF'?
As far as i can see you've got:

Solid shot AP for the tank/anti-tank gun
WWI navy anti aircraft HE
WW2 navy HE with fuze plug (and tracer?)
WW2 navy anti aircaft practice
unknown projectile, my S gun AP projectile is 164mm in length which seem to match the dimensions you posted.
WW2 navy anti aircaft practice

My S practice is 128mm above the band, cant do a full length as its crimped in, the plug has VADIS stamped on the base, the shell body has very little taper and the plug will not fit the HE shell body nor the type of AA practice you have if its the one with a very light weight virtually hollow steel plug, it will fit another type of practice body I have. The rest I'll go with Quatermass.