What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea mine - unloved - trying to find its owner

exat808

Ordnance approved
This former charity collection box has now been plated over and all traces of its former owners have disappeared. We are looking into tracing the owners with a view to recovering it.Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

2012-10-05 12.55.28.jpg2012-10-05 12.55.39.jpg

Who is responsible for the upkeep of the footway there? Surely they must have an idea. I'd move fast with the way the price of ferrous scrap is escalating.

Tim

Thank you for the comments. I just found the mine this afternoon. The local authority route might be a starter. I will also contact RNLI.
I had a close look at the plates etc but all traces of markings have been obliterated.
Its in a rather run down area.
It needs a good home.

Further to my last - it would appear that the metal disc is covering the collection slot - if this were to become detached it might reveal the engraved plate as in attached image.

Tim

450px-WWII_Sea_Mine_-_geograph_org_uk_-_112941.jpg

Try the Mission to Seafarers or the Shipwrecked Mariner's Society as well. I'm sure one of them used to have a similar mine at Robin Hood's Bay.

Thank Matt and Butterfly - 1 step ahead - I have already emailed the SMS.