What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian WWI 75mm HE color

bacarnal

Ordnance Approved/Premium
Ordnance approved
Just received a WWI Russian 3 inch (76.2mm) HE with a 3GT PD Fuse made by Bethlehem Steel Company. I was wondering what the correct color for the round should be and what markings, if any, should be on it. Doubtless, if you saw the round on GB (76.2 USSR AA), you can tell that the casing is, as stated, an M1931/38 AA casing. Luckily the round was not the US 75mm as described, but the Russian M1916 round and I'd like to return it to it's correct color scheme. Also, How hard is it to find a correct casing for this shell? Cheers, Bruce.

Can you send a photo of the shell? There are a few alternatives and I may have a correct color scheme for you.

To find a suitable brass case here is no problem but shipping it to USA nowadays is a pain.

The U.S. made 76.2mm Russian projectiles are very available in the States, and I've never seen one with any paint on it.

Here is the help?
Russian 3 "of the French sample. 1915-1918.
Color is dependent on the place of manufacture and explosives.
Excuse me for bad English!

Attachments

• F (1).jpg
    F (1).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 80
  • F (2).jpg
    F (2).jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Some shots of paint examples from the Russian Artillery Museum.

76mm projo 1.jpg Projo group 55.jpgProjo group 63.jpgProjo group 67.jpg

Der Uhu, Thanks for the pictures. Which one would be high explosive? Tmine35, here are some pictures of the round and the fuze. The fuze is hard in the adapter and I don't have my tools available, and since, even though the Russian 76.2mm US made rounds are not too hard to find here, the 3GT PD fuze is very hard to locate. The US copied this fuze and called it the MK I. They also made adaptations to it to have it arm by centrifugal force and called it the MK II. The MK II was supposed to be used in rounds greater than 75mm, but we have found it used in the US 3" round fired from the M1902 Field Gun where I am currently working. Cheers, Bruce.

Attachments

• PA131156.jpg
    PA131156.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 44
  • PA131157.jpg
    PA131157.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 36
Der Uhu, Thanks for the pictures. Which one would be high explosive?

First picture: left and middle - picriс acid, right - shnejderit (ammotol)+20% TNT. Third picture - both shnejderit (ammotol) + 30% dinitronaftalin (second stage in making picric acid).

Yeah, HAZ, kinda got my attention too. I just bid on it on the offhand chance that the fuze was intact. Other than the safety chamber in the base of the fuze missing, she's full up. Thanks Ivashkin and Der Uhu, your data helps alot. Since Picric Acid didn't go over too well here I'll probably re-do it in the amatol-TNT, once I get to it. Thanks, all, Bruce.