What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OKT Series

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
OKT Series of Submunitions.

Guys I am looking for as much infomration as I can find on the OKT series of bombletts. I have pictures of the OKT-8 and OKT-11 and have seen charts on here with different versions of these that I don't have pictures of. Can anyone help me out with this? I am specifically looking for filler information and weights, but pictures, and systems used with these would be nice.

Joe

USSR, BOMBLET, CHEMICAL, (H), OKT-8 OR OKT-11
1. Painting and markings:
OKT-8: OKT-11OKT chem and incendiary bomblet side.jpgOKT filler plug.jpgUSSR bomblet OKT-11 chemical.jpg
Body: Green
Nose Band: None Nose Band: None
Body Band: None Body Band: None

2. Weight:
OKT-8: 1.4 kilograms (3.0 LB.) OKT-11: Same

3. Material:
OKT-8: Spherical tinplate container made of two halves. One is solid and contains a filler plug. The other half is scored into four segments to facilitate rupture upon impact. (122 mm (4.8 inch) Sphere)
OKT-11: Same

4. Hazardous Components:
OKT-8: 1.18 kilograms (2.6 LB.) H or Phosphorus Mix OKT-11: Same
The bomblet does not contain a fuze or burster charge
Total HE Weight: 0 LB.
Total Max. Agent Weight: 1.18 kilograms (2.6 LB.) H or Phosphorus Mix
NOTE: It has been reported that this bomblet was considered to be a carrier of biological agents, unconfirmed

5. General Function
Release from dispenser:
Bomblets free-falls to ground.
Upon impact, bomblet body breaks open along the lines of the preformed grooves.
Filler is dispersed about the target area.

Joe,
nearly everybody I've ever discussed the OKTs with from the east indicated that our historic information on the OKTs was crap. While I was never really able to confirm, the opinions were pretty much unanimous. Here is some info from one of the books you were looking at during your last visit. I think that it is referencing the OKTs, but with my Russian it could be discussing new dishwashers. I think I've got some photos of small single tube dispensers in storage in the Czech Republic, I'll do some digging and see what I can find. They all refer to them as "incendiary ampules". JO

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Here's 2 different examples,
The first example is smooth on both sides, where as the second example is scored on one half.
PA013680.jpgPA013682.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Described to me as Soviet manufactured, for aircraft use. I like the sights.

Sov ampoule gun 1.jpg Sov ampoule gun 2.jpg Ampule launcher.jpg

This must have been a bad joke then because these are 125mm AZh-2 launchers which were used by the infantry on a small wheeled mount.

Not in small wheeled. They aren`t rare in ex-USSR, but cost aroud 80 euros for one glass ball!
And yes, my small mistake. Were used like metall ampuls and glass.
1.jpg2.JPG3.jpg

Last edited:
Not likely a joke, more likely a language issue or my own misunderstanding. Looking at the diagrams and the size however the ampules look to be the same as the air delivered ones? I've seen photos of large, multi-tube dispensers for aircraft - ?

Interesting ...

So on one of the web pages it showed several different variations of the OKT series. How many different ones were there? Also, do they all carry toxic chemicals or only smoke?

Joe