What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 37mm shell case sizing die

BMG50

Premium Member
I have a few WW1 37mm French and German rounds, some of the cases need shaping up, so i thought i would machine up a sizing die to shape the cases back into line. Anyone tried this? First of all I assume that these case are of the same dimensions with a slight neck in the case or are some cases strait, correct me if i am wrong. Does anyone have a drawing showing the case dimensions. The cases i need to size are the French 37mm x 94R He Mle 16. the German 37mm x 101 SR Sockelflak 1918 dated and the German 1905 37mm x 94R C97/98 which i may end up sectioning.

Drawing

Does this help ? From Munavia 21 or Histavia - web sites.

Maybe it is clearer on the web site ?

Attachments

• z0025.jpg
    z0025.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 68
BMG50

I have made neck sizing dies for several 37mm to 75mm cases. I make mine from brass or bronze so as not to scratch the case. I also use a liberal dusting of Moly on the neck which further helps both the sizing and the prevention of scratching. You need to make careful measurements so that you size the neck only enough to hold the projectile firmly. Overdo it and you'll end up with a bulge that can be hard to remove. You may have to make more than one die if you have different brands of cases. What I do is make the smallest one first and then enlarge it for the next size up, and so forth.

Good Luck

Ray

P.S.

Don't use drawings. Take careful measurements of both the projectile and the case neck wall thickness. Otherwise, you may be sorry. Remember, we're talking about only a few thousandths of an inch.

ray

Last edited:
Try your die on an old case, watch for split necks, French and Russian are very prone to this, you might try annealing just the neck, too soft and pushing too hard will buckle a case, if the die is a trifle large put a layer of thin paper around the neck before using the die again. make the neck too small and it can be resized up after anealing again. putting the set up under a press is much safer than using a hammer. my brief thoughs, hope they help.

I have done this before using a steel ring. I used a bench vice to apply pressure so I could control how far the case got pushed into the die. Be careful to get the case ligned up perfectly straight before pushing it in.

I've never tried this, but I've heard of people using a Jubilee hose clip to resize a case neck.