Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unidentified Ordinance - Found in USA

Good day all. I am new to the forums and new to collecting. I have a couple pieces that I have started off with and have a line on some more. I have always been fascinated with ordinance and the place it takes me when I look at it. They hold so many stories.

I am in the USA and obtained the piece in the photograph attached to this post. I was told it was WWI French but I don't know how trustworthy an appraisal that is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance and have a great day all.

100_2433.jpg100_2421.jpg100_2422.jpg

Images
    Thanks
    Your apraisal is right. I can't see the head stamp well, but it is a French 37x94R and it appears to be made in 1916. PDPs is Pinchart Deny, Paris France. Fairweasle will be on sometime today. He may identify it to be a blank. I say that from the black sealer inside the case and no crimping.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to imaokie2000 For This Useful Post:

Chesuncook (27th October 2012)

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    Hum,
    all my references say that PDPs means "Poudreries De Paris" !!!
    But all the rest of the identification is correct. I would just see a beter picture of the black painted marking around.

Yoda
    Any live or dug ordnance presented by me has been disposed of by EOD technicians.

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodamaster View Post
    Hum,
    all my references say that PDPs means "Poudreries De Paris" !!!
    But all the rest of the identification is correct. I would just see a beter picture of the black painted marking around.
    Yoda
    Hi

imaokie2000 is right .

PDPs = Pinchart Deny

Former cases of this factory were stamped Dy or Pt Dy

Poudreries (pownder factories) do not fabricate cartridges)

================================================== ==================

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kz11gr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here is a high resolution scan of the markings I just took. Thank you all for such a quick identification! You are professionals all. Maybe these markings will give more information? Are these shells common? Thank you again.

French Shell.jpg

Thanks
    These are fairly common, and you should be able to find a projectile for it easily. if it is indeed a blank, you can leave it as it is. From this round, mighty collections grow. It is the first one I got back when I was collecting grenades, and it has lead me through much joy and history. Good luck collecting!!!.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to highlandotter For This Useful Post:

Images
    Thanks
    Nice case Chesuncook especially with the stencils still on - I would expect not too common over your side of the pond??
    Plenty over here though. If you want I can look for a projectile for you at Ciney in Belgium next weekend?? Should be able to pick one up for about $10 - $20.
    Wasn`t aware of these being done as a blank?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hicky1300 For This Useful Post:

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    There were blanks, but unless one is found intact or there are clear stencils indicating this I don't think one can be identified. French cases don't have crimp marks so lack of same is no help. You can put any kind of French projectile that you want in it of the common kinds. If a PD try to match the date on the fuze with the case. It is dirty from being fired etc. The stencils are the filling information, type, lot, who etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gspragge For This Useful Post:

imaokie2000 (22nd October 2012), rcaf53 (22nd October 2012), spotter (21st October 2012)

Ordnance Approved/Premium
    Thanks
    Welcome Chesuncook. The people that have replied to you so far are some of the most knowledgeable that you will ever find on the 37mm/1pdr. Paraphrasing highlandotter, from such seeds large collections sprout. Please don't think this picky, though. There is no "i" in the ordnance we discuss here except for the local laws governing what we can collect. Cheers and again, welcome. Bruce.
    ALL ORDNANCE SHOWN BY ME HAS BEEN INERTED AND HAS NO LIVE FILLERS.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bacarnal For This Useful Post:

Chesuncook (27th October 2012), Jolly Green (22nd October 2012)

Images
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gspragge View Post
    There were blanks, but unless one is found intact or there are clear stencils indicating this I don't think one can be identified. French cases don't have crimp marks so lack of same is no help. You can put any kind of French projectile that you want in it of the common kinds. If a PD try to match the date on the fuze with the case. It is dirty from being fired etc. The stencils are the filling information, type, lot, who etc.
    Thanks Gordon. I'm sleeping in class again. The black inside the case got me. Every time I see the black sealer inside the 37s, I think "Plug Sealer"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast